Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 2-Stroke All Rounder??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default 2-Stroke All Rounder??

Today I walked into a small gun shop to check his prices on brass (I'm about to start reloading). His shop was packed with ice cream containers full of disassembled pistols and trigger assemblies soaking in two-stroke fuel. He swore that it was all he used for his gun care. The petrol cleans and the oil lubes.

While I'm not going to start doing it myself, to be honest I can't see in his fallacies in his logic. Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8441 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

1. If anyone makes a spark in the place, can you PLEASE get the video to post here?

2. Petrol (gasoline to us Yanks) dissolves grease and oil, but is not the best gun cleaning solvent out there. So-so on carbon, useless for metal fouling.

3. 2 stroke oil not the best rust inhibitor, not the best lube- just designed to burn clean.

4. Buying a life insurance policy on him would be better than buying a lottery ticket. Ever read the health hazards associated with washing your hands in gasoline on an ongoing basis?

Hell, in a pinch, I have used Ronson lighter fluid- but it is not the best thing.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thanks c3, good points which I hadn't thought about