Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 2 problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 2 problems

Hi everyone - a newby to the site..hoping to get several things resolved
1 - looking for a breach bolt for an old Husqvarna vapenfabriks 30-06, if anyone can help or direct me
2 - have an older Ren 742 woodmaster semi with feed problens. fitted it with new fireing pin but still hit and miss to loading second shell. Is there a spring kit avail that you know about.

Any comments appreciated
Thx

Bill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #2

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

bighorn1, why don't you jump over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?

I'm not the long gun expert but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #3

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

On the 742 does the shell eject and the action close on an empty chamber? If so its most likely not opening the action all the way or you have a bad magazine. Have you removed the forearm to clean and lightly lube the action spring. I have seen a large number of these with the action springs and guide rods badly rusted. Have you cleaned the chamber good? The shell could be sticking a little in the chamber.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #4

Thanks - i will go over it thoroughly

Old 11-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #5

Hi as a 742 owner myself there are something's that have to be done . First thing is clean the gun I mean clean . There is a offset cleaning tool that is needed you can make one or buy it. And scrub the hell out of her. Then inspect the rails for marks these rails get chewed to crap . If the rails are toast new ones are hard to come by. Don't over oil or under oil to much and the gun will foul quickly not enough and the rails will wear . There is a lot of info out there about the 742 most people don't like them . I like mine I just don't dump a lot of ammo threw it . Rails and other parts are to hard to come by . Good luck keep us posted so I can learn more about this gun .

Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #6

Hi again a few more tips on the742 . I reload for all my guns but never for 742 model in any cal . Yes it can be done with new brass but once fired the brass seams to expand more and gets stuck damaging the extractor . I have had a wood dowel down the barrel beating out stuck brass . Not a good site at the range !! Also the gun gens a lot of heat the brass are very hot when leaving the gun . With tight tolerances In the gun multi firing builds up heat so dumping the clip rapidly can cause a stuck case . Theses are great hunting guns there not a combat AR platform guns. I like them for the reason they can be purchased cheap good luck

Old 11-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #7

The 742 is bought cheap because it's made cheap. The receiver is a mild (ie soft) steel and wears quickly. You can try stretching the springs (only a small amount) and see how things work. If it does, go to Numrich and buy replacement springs. I'm not holding my breath on that working, though. Pass it off on someone, and invest in something higher quality.

"I'd rather die on my feet than to live on my knees." E. Zapata

Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #8

I agree sarge22 I got mine from my late uncle it's a good back up gun . Its my only gun with a scope I use from tree stand for coyote hunting works for that one of rem worst designs ever.