2 new guns need advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 2 new guns need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default 2 new guns need advice

Hello all i just inherited 2 guns from my grandfather and i need some assistance with them. One is a mossberg model 385Kb bolt action 20 guage, the other is a Jc higgins model 103.18 single shot 22 lr.

Im wondering about how to disassemble them for cleaning. The Mossbergs bolt is very very sticky and it is a chore to even rack it. Im thinking a good clean and lube would fix alot of it. Problem is this is the very first bolt action shotgun i have come acrossed and i have no clue to how to do disassemble it. Also my first single shot .22 so disassembly instructions would be helpful there aswell. Also the C-lect choke on the 20 guage wont even budge between settings. any andvice for that? Ill add a few pics for yall in just a bit thanks.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by Biohazurd; 08-09-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2965 Times on 1709 Posts
Likes Given: 1273

Just wondering, have you tried to get manuals for them. I have been able to search and find user manuals through the standard search engines of the internet. (and we may have some manuals links).
Good luck

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9160 Times on 3956 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Manual (such as it is) for your Mossy. http://www.box54.com/inst%20385K.jpg

Your rifle is a Marlin Model 100. To remove bolt on shotgun or rifle, open bolt, be sure safety is off and gun unloaded. Press and hold trigger to rear, draw bolt out of gun.

With the C-lect-choke, you possibly have powder residue, dirt, rust, and peanut butter and jelly in there. Soak muzzle down overnight in a good penetrant oil. Best stuff ever made is sold under the name KROIL.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 08-10-2010 at 12:20 AM.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #4

Yeah i googled both of them for manuals to no avail. Thanks for the responses guys.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by Biohazurd; 08-10-2010 at 01:55 AM.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:01 AM   #5

Also does anyone know what type of scope mount the marlin uses? it has the tip of grooves up on top of the reciever, so i dont think it needs to be drilled and tapped does it? any Ideas? web turned up no results.

Jimi Hendrix

Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2965 Times on 1709 Posts
Likes Given: 1273

Pics may help on that. Check out photobucket.com. Then direct link to the photos.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9160 Times on 3956 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

If your Marlin has the parallell grooves on top of the receiver, that is for the scope. No D&T. And did you click on the underlined part of my last posting? That was the original instruction sheet that Mossberg supplied with your shotgun.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #8

yeah i read it thanks for the info. Now i gotta find the right mount.

Jimi Hendrix

Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #9

Bio,
If your talkin about the mount on the Marlin you should be able to find a scope mount just about anywhere i think even wally world would have one. they talke a simple clamp on style think they call them rimfire mounts, not sure on the technical name for them. But anyway they sell anywhere they sell sporting goods. Well that is the way it is around here anyway.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:20 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Try calling Mossberg and they will probably send you a copy of the owners manual. Marlin will do the same, I got one from Marlin for my rifle. Just go to their web sites and click on contact us and you will find their info there. Good Luck