Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   1929 winchester 94 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/1929-winchester-94-a-52142/)

bick65 11-20-2011 04:24 PM

1929 winchester 94

Hi 1st the gun likes to fire without use of trigger . I can track that down and fix . The ??? Should I have it reblued or leave it be . Don't ever plan on getting rid of gun but the thing almost completely bare of blueing.

hiwall 11-20-2011 04:31 PM

You are the only one that can make that decision. I would urge you not to reblue.

Trez 11-20-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 632172)
You are the only one that can make that decision. I would urge you not to reblue.

+1

I like the look of a old, well used rifle..... I just fixed up a old Winchester and even kept the old beat stock...

triggerman770 11-20-2011 11:51 PM

1929 winnie

if you do or do not blue it keep it well oiled to prevent rust from getting out of hand. Two of the best are Ballistol and EEEZOX

Angry_American 06-13-2014 03:21 AM

winchester 94 Receivers

The receivers contain an alloy that will usually streak or turn brown during the blueing process and will not take the proper color no matter what you do. I just refinished one at work using Caswell's black oxide gel. Came out great. I didn't use the sealer because its like polyurethane for wood and looked bad. I used a rust inhibitor on the finished surface. Let it soak over night and then cleaned it up and rubbed it down with Rig gun grease. Customer is ecstatic about it.

c3shooter 06-13-2014 03:39 AM

Hi Angry! Welcome to the forum!

Between 64 and 82, there was some unusual steel used in Winchester 94s- have heard it called graphitic steel, but do not know if that is right. I know it does not handle standard bluing well. The gun in question here, tho, is much older than that time frame.

To the OP- that gun has earned its stripes. Clean it well (light oil, burlap and elbow grease) and keep it as it is.

natman 06-20-2014 02:41 PM

The 94s made in the 20's used a bluing process on the receivers that caused them to fade over time. I have my grandfather's 94 made in 1926; the barrel and magazine still have excellent bluing, but the receiver is completely bare.

This is normal and any collector will recognize it for what it is. Even if you can get a decent reblue, rebluing it will damage collector value. Just keep it oiled.

willshoum 06-20-2014 02:55 PM

according to Garp.............

Find the Buyer First. If you go by pawn dealers ask three times what you want.....................They will screw you over................LOl, they say its all rusted over, then they say you cleaned off all the patina............Watch ricks face on pawn stars...................:eek:;)

Sniper03 06-20-2014 04:15 PM

Bick,

"First of all I would like to see some pictures of your prize"!

If I were you, I would get the action fixed by a competent gunsmith! Parts are probably available for you.
But in no way would I touch the finish unless the gun is so rough that the gun is of little value. Which I doubt that is why we would like to see some pictures. But as was stated the choice is yours but if you refinish it you can ruin the value! I know you are not ever planning on parting with the gun. But relics are relics and I hate to see people destroy that.

Franklin1995 06-21-2014 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 1592989)
Bick,

"First of all I would like to see some pictures of your prize"!

If I were you, I would get the action fixed by a competent gunsmith! Parts are probably available for you.
But in no way would I touch the finish unless the gun is so rough that the gun is of little value. Which I doubt that is why we would like to see some pictures. But as was stated the choice is yours but if you refinish it you can ruin the value! I know you are not ever planning on parting with the gun. But relics are relics and I hate to see people destroy that.

I bet he's already made his decision. This thread was started back in 2011! :p