Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 1911 spits brass at face. It hurts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911 spits brass at face. It hurts.

I know nothing about gunsmithing. I have a 1911 that has a nasty tendency to eject casings back at my face. It's not a problem with safety glasses, but I wouldn't want to fire it without them. Is this problem correctable through gunsmithing?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

It's correctable through proper shooting. Quit limp wristing it, that's what causes that to happen. Find someone that knows how to shoot a 1911 and have them teach you how to hold it.

You might also Google Mossad Ayoob and search through some of his article concerning 1911 ergonomics. He has a few really good ones out there that explain how to hold a 1911 for the best control.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Here is a start: http://www.gunthorp.com/how%20to%20shoot%20a%20handgun.htm

Pay attention to the "traditional 1911 grip" and use it. The butt of your left hand should rest up inside the cave created by your right thumb being on the safety. You left thumb should rest on the slide release.

There are other articles that go into greater depth. Take a look at them when you get a chance.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 10-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #4

I had never heard of anyone saying what Matt had so I did a search and he could be right or the original answer I was going to give you could be right "Which was your extractor and or ejector needs to be tuned"

My Colt Combat Commander did the exact same thing and a trip to a good Smith fixed it period .

You can even fix it yourself if it needs adjusting .

Do a web search for "1911 erratic ejection" and it will pull up several articles on it and how to make the adjustment yourself .

Old 10-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My Kimber does the same thing to people who don't know how to hold it, as does every other 1911 I've ever seen.

When I fire my Kimber, the brass ejects at almost a 90º angle to the ejection port. When my wife fires it, it spits them back inline with the slide. Same gun, same loads, different shooters and different postures.

Roger Waters

Old 10-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
It's correctable through proper shooting. Quit limp wristing it, that's what causes that to happen. Find someone that knows how to shoot a 1911 and have them teach you how to hold it.

You might also Google Mossad Ayoob and search through some of his article concerning 1911 ergonomics. He has a few really good ones out there that explain how to hold a 1911 for the best control.
I don't think I have been limp wristing it, but I will try again and see if I have. I also read the article and realize that my stance and grip are incorrect.

Thanks.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
I had never heard of anyone saying what Matt had so I did a search and he could be right or the original answer I was going to give you could be right "Which was your extractor and or ejector needs to be tuned"

My Colt Combat Commander did the exact same thing and a trip to a good Smith fixed it period .

You can even fix it yourself if it needs adjusting .

Do a web search for "1911 erratic ejection" and it will pull up several articles on it and how to make the adjustment yourself .
I will try what Matt said and see if that works. If not, I will see about using a gunsmith. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer12 View Post
I will try what Matt said and see if that works. If not, I will see about using a gunsmith. Thanks.
Who's 1911 is it? Is it a "cheapie" or a tuned gun?

Roger Waters

Old 10-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Who's 1911 is it? Is it a "cheapie" or a tuned gun?
Colt, series '70. Never been fired until about a year ago.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer12 View Post
Colt, series '70. Never been fired until about a year ago.
You may or may not have extractor issues. Is it an internal or external extractor? How many rounds through it?

Roger Waters