Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   1911 spits brass at face. It hurts. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/1911-spits-brass-face-hurts-8066/)

designer12 10-29-2008 05:48 PM

1911 spits brass at face. It hurts.

I know nothing about gunsmithing. I have a 1911 that has a nasty tendency to eject casings back at my face. It's not a problem with safety glasses, but I wouldn't want to fire it without them. Is this problem correctable through gunsmithing?

matt g 10-29-2008 06:25 PM

It's correctable through proper shooting. Quit limp wristing it, that's what causes that to happen. Find someone that knows how to shoot a 1911 and have them teach you how to hold it.

You might also Google Mossad Ayoob and search through some of his article concerning 1911 ergonomics. He has a few really good ones out there that explain how to hold a 1911 for the best control.

matt g 10-29-2008 06:30 PM

Here is a start: http://www.gunthorp.com/how%20to%20shoot%20a%20handgun.htm

Pay attention to the "traditional 1911 grip" and use it. The butt of your left hand should rest up inside the cave created by your right thumb being on the safety. You left thumb should rest on the slide release.

There are other articles that go into greater depth. Take a look at them when you get a chance.

BigO01 10-29-2008 07:05 PM

I had never heard of anyone saying what Matt had so I did a search and he could be right or the original answer I was going to give you could be right "Which was your extractor and or ejector needs to be tuned"

My Colt Combat Commander did the exact same thing and a trip to a good Smith fixed it period .

You can even fix it yourself if it needs adjusting .

Do a web search for "1911 erratic ejection" and it will pull up several articles on it and how to make the adjustment yourself .

matt g 10-29-2008 07:19 PM

My Kimber does the same thing to people who don't know how to hold it, as does every other 1911 I've ever seen.

When I fire my Kimber, the brass ejects at almost a 90 angle to the ejection port. When my wife fires it, it spits them back inline with the slide. Same gun, same loads, different shooters and different postures.

designer12 10-29-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 47653)
It's correctable through proper shooting. Quit limp wristing it, that's what causes that to happen. Find someone that knows how to shoot a 1911 and have them teach you how to hold it.

You might also Google Mossad Ayoob and search through some of his article concerning 1911 ergonomics. He has a few really good ones out there that explain how to hold a 1911 for the best control.

I don't think I have been limp wristing it, but I will try again and see if I have. I also read the article and realize that my stance and grip are incorrect.

Thanks.

designer12 10-29-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigO01 (Post 47659)
I had never heard of anyone saying what Matt had so I did a search and he could be right or the original answer I was going to give you could be right "Which was your extractor and or ejector needs to be tuned"

My Colt Combat Commander did the exact same thing and a trip to a good Smith fixed it period .

You can even fix it yourself if it needs adjusting .

Do a web search for "1911 erratic ejection" and it will pull up several articles on it and how to make the adjustment yourself .

I will try what Matt said and see if that works. If not, I will see about using a gunsmith. Thanks.

matt g 10-29-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by designer12 (Post 47677)
I will try what Matt said and see if that works. If not, I will see about using a gunsmith. Thanks.

Who's 1911 is it? Is it a "cheapie" or a tuned gun?

designer12 10-30-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 47697)
Who's 1911 is it? Is it a "cheapie" or a tuned gun?

Colt, series '70. Never been fired until about a year ago.

matt g 10-30-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by designer12 (Post 47776)
Colt, series '70. Never been fired until about a year ago.

You may or may not have extractor issues. Is it an internal or external extractor? How many rounds through it?