Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 1911 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911 question

Hello all, I am new here. I have already recieved a welcome from an initial moderator. Thank you!

I currently own a Taurus PT1911dt (Duo Tone model)

I am very happy with tis weapon, It has been reliable, well functioning, and extremely accurate. I have owned it for approximately 6-7 months and in that time I have put upwards around 1000+ round through it with no problems. In that time I put a few modifications of my own to suit MY preferances, I put an 18.5 lb recoil spring in it, replacing the factory 16 lb, (to reduce wear on my barrel, etc...) a set of pachymar combat grips, ( I have big hands and the combat grips fit my hand better) and most recently a Wilson Combat Skelotonized hammer. ( the factory hammer sits up higher, and does not stick out to the rear as much as I liked- I keep one in the chamber, but I do not carry it cock-and -locked, its just theway I like to carry period, and the skelotonized hammer is easier to cock with the beaver tail hand safety)

When I replaced the hammer, it is a little lighter wt than the factory hammer, the factory hammer has more metal, plus it has that little safety lock screw that taurus puts n their weapons, the Wilson Hammer does not have that stuff, so it was lighter. The factory hammer strut fit in place, no problem, and the sear lined up great (actually it gave the trigger pull a little crisper response) so I was happy with the part swap.
Well when I replaced it, I took it to the range, and for the first time since I owned the weapon I had 2 out of 100-230 gr fmj winchester rounds not go off. The primers were struck, they were dented, but they didnt fire.

Well My question is this:
If you replace the hammer for a lighter one do you need to replace the firing pin spring for a lighter tension spring? or maybe a more rigid mainspring to give it more "OOMPH" when it shoves the hammer foreward?
OR could it just be two dud rounds, and I am looking too deep into the gun parts? (hopefully!)

Have any 1911 owners/ Gunsmiths out there ever seen this before?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Was the primers of the misfires dented the same as the 1s that went off? Have you checked to make SURE that the hammer is not rubbing on the frame? If it's rubbing anywhere it could drag just enough to cause light firing pin strikes. If it's not rubbing then try replacing your spring. It's my guess you need to stone the sides of your hammer. Neil

Last edited by stalkingbear; 10-11-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default hMM, Sounds like ya had a 100% Function, added parts and now?

hello all

RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

Hey man, Not Dogging you, but you started out with 100% function and added parts now you have less than that? Yea, I'd follow the good advice of Stalkingbear, check and see if ya have rubbing parts and all, But I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND that YOU Let a PRO Look at it and If ya have to swop back to the parts that work 100%? Tactical and smoth is Noce but 100% function is Needed? Just my thoughts!

RON

Old 10-12-2009, 02:06 AM   #4

Yea I looked at the clearance around the hammer, it swings freely. the hammer makes contact with the pin, and like I said out of 100 only 2 misfired. I did see the round was dented, thats why I IMMEDIATELY closed the breach and left my gun facing downrange for a good 10 minutes ((or until they called the next ceasefire, at which time I had the range attendant come down and he disposed of the round in the manner which they do there. ) so yeah I know it went from 100% to questionable, I was going to put the old hammer back in and take it to my guy but I thought if one of you had seen this in the past maybe you might know what it was.

So I guess for now I'll just do that.

I work out of town monday thru friday so its hard for me to take time to see him except on the weekends, and I am usually spending time with the wife n kids, My gun takes the back seat to momma!

Thank you though

Old 10-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Responce to JohnM

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

Hmm, Sounds like ya did check what I would have done? I think, (IF IT WERE ME), I'd take the Old parts ya have and check them side by side to the replaced ones giving ya problems and look for difference in The hammer, Sear and internal parts fit? It might be too small to see with all but a Mictometer but side by side ya might see whats difference is and maybe how to fix the New parts to Copy the Older functioning parts/ I'd still if ya even get it 100% have someone skilled in 1991A1's to look it over as ya don't want any AD's aor accidents?

YOUR Good in my Book, as ya kept the Old parts, Listened to the range master and are willing to Listen and fall back to the Old parts till ya find the issues with the new ones?

Plus any man that Doesn't put his Family and thier needs over his weapons has Problems, Unless those weapons are protecting them in some way? Spounds like ya have the matter well in hand and Please let us know what you find out, if anthing, OK? I'm always curious about the Final outcome?

RON

Old 10-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have you just tried shooting the gun some more? After all, it could have been the ammo. If you try different lots/brands and the misfires don't happen again, it could have just been a couple of defective primers. Before anybody starts carrying on that it doesn't happen, let me say that I had a box of 50 Remington 10mm's that had 14 misfires in it. I shipped the misfires back to Remington, not expecting much of a response. What I got was a check for $50 and a letter from Remington that stated that the primers were defective, and an apology. So, like I said, shoot the gun some more.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Let us know if you experience failure to fire when changing ammo. Are the primers "dented" as deep as they should be?

Old 10-31-2009, 03:15 AM   #8

I appreciate the responses, and I did talk to the shop owner, he told me there IS a possibility that the lighter hammer cold affect the functioning. SOO His gunsmith (New guy I haven't met yet) will be there on sat the 31st, and I am welcome to show it to him since I DID buy the hammer from him. and since I buy EVERYTHING from him, and he knows I stick to the same ammo, and the same gun, and he knows I did it to improve the functional quality for ME, and it was not some silly cosmetic change.

SO basically it could be the hammer, and he told me that the smith could alter the mainspring, and since I am NOT a smith but merely a parts changer I will leave it to him.

SO in the futurr, anybody wants to make changes like this one, the lighter parts/ custom parts on a stock piece CAN make a difference, Ill let you know what the verdict/ outcome is. Hopefully is a small (Cheap) adjustment!!LOL

Old 11-01-2009, 04:24 AM   #9

well I took my gun to the gunsmith I mentioned above, after he looked at it thoroughly, he said " this is the same I would have done, it was most likely bad ammo. go shoot it again and bring me the rounds that dont go off and we'll try to figure it out that way". So my 16 yr old son and I went to the range today, and ran 150 rounds through it without a single misfire, stovepipe or jam. soooo it musta been a couple of dud rounds. the gun functions like a champ.

Sooo, thanks for the input gentlemen, but it would appear that the new hammer is gonna work out just fine. Go figure.

At least I got some bonding time with the boy, and I have total confidence in my weapon again! So all in all, not a bad way to spend a saturday!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:51 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default The BEST way to spend a Sat.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
well I took my gun to the gunsmith I mentioned above, after he looked at it thoroughly, he said " this is the same I would have done, it was most likely bad ammo. go shoot it again and bring me the rounds that dont go off and we'll try to figure it out that way". So my 16 yr old son and I went to the range today, and ran 150 rounds through it without a single misfire, stovepipe or jam. soooo it musta been a couple of dud rounds. the gun functions like a champ.

Sooo, thanks for the input gentlemen, but it would appear that the new hammer is gonna work out just fine. Go figure.

At least I got some bonding time with the boy, and I have total confidence in my weapon again! So all in all, not a bad way to spend a saturday!
Welcome to FTF, John, and all that stuff. You're right a GREAT way to spend a Sat. My Sons are older (than 16), but when they are in town, we usually go to have a "Bonding " secession at my range. Those are times that can't be replaced!! NOTE: You will "Make Points" with your Son if you "Let" him out-shoot you some!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976