Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 1911 hammer pin issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The hammer pin was my mistake, it was installed wrong from factory and i just repeated, but the recess is on the port side. I found another problem with the pistol other than the smashed sear spring (picture). When I disassembled the 1911, there was no retaining pin in the mainspring housing. Furthermore, the mainspring was deformed (I found out later by watching videos that it is longer than usual!), really bent out of shape. Very weird because the hammer was never really heavy, so I don't really know what assembly sequence they used for this particular pistol. What I know is that once I placed my new hammer, sear, disconnect, trigger, back safety, with a retaining pin the main spring housing set does not provide enough pressure to the hammer strut because it does not reach it at rest, only at half cock to full cock.
I ordered a new complete housing from Wilson combat with all springs and pins and will try. I am very disappointed with Springfield and will write a letter to them once I am done with this ordeal. Worse quality control I ever seen.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2302 Times on 1372 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

I'm beginning to think that someone who was not familiar with the 1911 (in the store) was messing with it and screwed some things up on trying to reassemble.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45touch
The hammer pin was my mistake, it was installed wrong from factory and i just repeated, but the recess is on the port side. I found another problem with the pistol other than the smashed sear spring (picture). When I disassembled the 1911, there was no retaining pin in the mainspring housing. Furthermore, the mainspring was deformed (I found out later by watching videos that it is longer than usual!), really bent out of shape. Very weird because the hammer was never really heavy, so I don't really know what assembly sequence they used for this particular pistol. What I know is that once I placed my new hammer, sear, disconnect, trigger, back safety, with a retaining pin the main spring housing set does not provide enough pressure to the hammer strut because it does not reach it at rest, only at half cock to full cock.
I ordered a new complete housing from Wilson combat with all springs and pins and will try. I am very disappointed with Springfield and will write a letter to them once I am done with this ordeal. Worse quality control I ever seen.
More pics: mainspring housing and back of the pistol. When I take off the mainspring housing, depress the back safety and the trigger, the hammer moves freely as all as the strut. All other combinations work too: hammer locks if either the trigger, thumb safety or the back safety are not properly pressed (depressed for thumb safety).

Old 02-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
I'm beginning to think that someone who was not familiar with the 1911 (in the store) was messing with it and screwed some things up on trying to reassemble.
That is a possibility. I went to the store today and the owner, who is a 1911 fanatic, told me that he was not understanding quite well what issues I was having as he is not a gunsmith himself and is not familiar with how they function. I found that statement weird. Anyway, I hope the new set of parts will fix this last issue.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Mystery resolved except for the sear spring bent. The mainspring system on the Springfield 1911s is different.

Very good thread from another forum. I am getting rid of it, I'm replacing for a Wilson Combat.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=334332

Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2302 Times on 1372 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

Each of the three fingers of the sear spring serve a purpose.
(From port side) The "hooked" keeps pressure on the sear, the center returns the disconnector in position (into the slide detent when in battery), and the bent one is for the grip safety.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #17

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
Each of the three fingers of the sear spring serve a purpose.
(From port side) The "hooked" keeps pressure on the sear, the center returns the disconnector in position (into the slide detent when in battery), and the bent one is for the grip safety.
Yup. I got them adjusted as explained and my trigger pull is 5.5lb (I like it) and the grip safety is firm but crisp so I can rely on it if i the thumb safety is off. Thanks again Dan.