Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 1911 hammer pin issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default 1911 hammer pin issue

I thought that the hammer pin was standard but I am having issues with a new hammer I purchased from Harrison Design. The pin from my Springfield 1911-A1 does not fit.
Is that expected? What is the solution? I bought a few other pins to try: Colt, Wilson and 1911 standard.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2754 Times on 1596 Posts
Likes Given: 1203

Even if you find a pin to match the hammer, it still will not work.

A pin that fits the hammer will then be too loose for the frame. The hammer then would not have a consistent lock up with the sear, and you are no better than before.

Do the pins fit the frame? If so, then the hole on the hammer needs to be enlarged or a different hammer. Try using some emory cloth (rolled up) to enlarge the hammer hole.

Remember, you can take off too much metal, and it is hard to put back. And normally, any mods done to parts will void any warranties.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #3

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Even if you find a pin to match the hammer, it still will not work.

A pin that fits the hammer will then be too loose for the frame. The hammer then would not have a consistent lock up with the sear, and you are no better than before.

Do the pins fit the frame? If so, then the hole on the hammer needs to be enlarged or a different hammer. Try using some emory cloth (rolled up) to enlarge the hammer hole.

Remember, you can take off too much metal, and it is hard to put back. And normally, any mods done to parts will void any warranties.
^^^^^^^^^
I think you need another hammer---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks folks. I will enlarge the hole patiently. That is the whole deal in gun smithing for me as I hate fishing

If I damage the hammer than I get another one.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Welcome to the world of 1911 hand fitting.
I do not work with Harrison, so I cannot comment on their stuff.
I've had good luck with every Ed Brown part so far.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Harrison hammer

John Harrison got back after I sent a support request and offered me to fix the issue by sending the pin and hammer what I think was really nice. But this is a skill I want to develop and I had purchased a set of diablo sanders with various grits already. I chose the 100 grit and just about 30 revolutions was enough to enlarge the whole to fit the springfield pin size.

I used a punch down pin as the axis to hold the abrasive paper (which is adhesive) to work.

Thanks dan_fl for the inspiration. Home Depot does not have emery cloth anymore, but the diablo is a pretty good replacement (made in switzerland). i have 80, 100 and 220 grit for future projects. i know i will need it.

1911s are definitely much more fun than SIGs and GLOCKs which are pretty much LEGOs.

new_hammer.jpg   old_hammer.jpg   perfect_fit.jpg   sanding.jpg  
Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hint: the pin goes in from port to starboard.
The head is covered by the left grip.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 02-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Really? It came from factory this way and there is a cavity to fit the side of the hammer pin that has a head on the starboard side of the pistol to make it flush with the frame. (Not to mention the busted sear spring that came with it.). I guess Springfield is going down in quality and standards?!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Kuhnhausen has a couple of books you can order through Brownells.

Great info.

PM me your e-mail address. I've got something you may be interested in.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45touch
Really? It came from factory this way and there is a cavity to fit the side of the hammer pin that has a head on the starboard side of the pistol to make it flush with the frame. (Not to mention the busted sear spring that came with it.). I guess Springfield is going down in quality and standards?!
Hmmm... I have never seen a hammer pin go in from the starboard side before. Has anyone else had it apart? The recess cut for the pin head could just be done in the factory by simply using the same cutting tool to make both pin holes in the frame.