Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   1911 hammer pin issue (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/1911-hammer-pin-issue-83986/)

45touch 02-11-2013 10:00 PM

1911 hammer pin issue

I thought that the hammer pin was standard but I am having issues with a new hammer I purchased from Harrison Design. The pin from my Springfield 1911-A1 does not fit.
Is that expected? What is the solution? I bought a few other pins to try: Colt, Wilson and 1911 standard.

danf_fl 02-12-2013 09:26 AM

Even if you find a pin to match the hammer, it still will not work.

A pin that fits the hammer will then be too loose for the frame. The hammer then would not have a consistent lock up with the sear, and you are no better than before.

Do the pins fit the frame? If so, then the hole on the hammer needs to be enlarged or a different hammer. Try using some emory cloth (rolled up) to enlarge the hammer hole.

Remember, you can take off too much metal, and it is hard to put back. And normally, any mods done to parts will void any warranties.

HOSSFLY 02-12-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1134320)
Even if you find a pin to match the hammer, it still will not work.

A pin that fits the hammer will then be too loose for the frame. The hammer then would not have a consistent lock up with the sear, and you are no better than before.

Do the pins fit the frame? If so, then the hole on the hammer needs to be enlarged or a different hammer. Try using some emory cloth (rolled up) to enlarge the hammer hole.

Remember, you can take off too much metal, and it is hard to put back. And normally, any mods done to parts will void any warranties.

^^^^^^^^^
I think you need another hammer---

45touch 02-12-2013 04:47 PM

Thanks folks. I will enlarge the hole patiently. That is the whole deal in gun smithing for me as I hate fishing :)

If I damage the hammer than I get another one.

danf_fl 02-12-2013 09:40 PM

Welcome to the world of 1911 hand fitting.
I do not work with Harrison, so I cannot comment on their stuff.
I've had good luck with every Ed Brown part so far.

45touch 02-15-2013 11:43 PM

Harrison hammer

4 Attachment(s)
John Harrison got back after I sent a support request and offered me to fix the issue by sending the pin and hammer what I think was really nice. But this is a skill I want to develop and I had purchased a set of diablo sanders with various grits already. I chose the 100 grit and just about 30 revolutions was enough to enlarge the whole to fit the springfield pin size.

I used a punch down pin as the axis to hold the abrasive paper (which is adhesive) to work.

Thanks dan_fl for the inspiration. Home Depot does not have emery cloth anymore, but the diablo is a pretty good replacement (made in switzerland). i have 80, 100 and 220 grit for future projects. i know i will need it. :)

1911s are definitely much more fun than SIGs and GLOCKs which are pretty much LEGOs. :D

danf_fl 02-16-2013 12:30 AM

Hint: the pin goes in from port to starboard.
The head is covered by the left grip.

45touch 02-16-2013 03:14 AM

Really? It came from factory this way and there is a cavity to fit the side of the hammer pin that has a head on the starboard side of the pistol to make it flush with the frame. (Not to mention the busted sear spring that came with it.). I guess Springfield is going down in quality and standards?!

danf_fl 02-16-2013 10:08 AM

Kuhnhausen has a couple of books you can order through Brownells.

Great info.

PM me your e-mail address. I've got something you may be interested in.

Stacheyboots 02-21-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45touch
Really? It came from factory this way and there is a cavity to fit the side of the hammer pin that has a head on the starboard side of the pistol to make it flush with the frame. (Not to mention the busted sear spring that came with it.). I guess Springfield is going down in quality and standards?!

Hmmm... I have never seen a hammer pin go in from the starboard side before. Has anyone else had it apart? The recess cut for the pin head could just be done in the factory by simply using the same cutting tool to make both pin holes in the frame.