Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 1911 Grips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911 Grips

I have decided that since I have a bunch of extra time on my hands I am going to build myself some hardwood grips for my springfield champion. Today I picked out a nice light hard wood, I don't know what kind it is, but it is pretty. It was just laying around the shop. I cut these down into about the same pieces and am now calling these the "blanks". I will post pictures here later and throughout the project if anyone is interested. I hope it turns out. I am thinking about doing a checkering by hand if I am feeling really adventurous, but that decision will come later. I am open to comments and feed back, also feel free to ask any questions as it may help me to think some of these things through.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Interesting undertaking. I look forward to seeing some pictures of your work as the project progresses.

JD

Old 02-08-2009, 02:13 AM   #3

Here are the blanks.
Name:  GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
Views: 386
Size:  29.4 KB
sorry the quality is not so good.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Last edited by McNabb11b; 02-08-2009 at 02:21 AM.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #4

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I hope Sarge43 drops by, he has "some" experience with this type of work.
I remember him talking about conditioning of the scales (I think that's what they call the blanks) before working them to prevent cracking when they dry out later.

Sarge43 are you out there? I have been thinking about experimenting with a set myself.

I have a set of Hogues on my XSE and love them.
I want to make a one piece grip that would wrap around with finger groves.
I'm doing a design that would require no grip screws.

McNabb, keep us in the loop with the progress.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #5

you can soak the wood in this stuff and it will not crack.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #6

Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) Green Wood Stabilizer - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Old 02-09-2009, 01:41 AM   #7

Today was busy. first I drilled the holes to fit the weapon. Kinda reminds me of a GLOCK.
Name:  glock.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  31.4 KB
After this I cut the traced shape out of the scales. (Thanks Cane)
Name:  cut blank.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  29.8 KB
After hours of sanding I finally got them fitted, even, and worked into shape. now they look like grips as seen here on my 45.
Name:  fin1.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  24.4 KBName:  fin2.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  24.9 KB
Name:  fin3.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  27.8 KB
Now comes the decision making. I am either going to make an attempt at checkering on Wednesday, or leave as is and stain tomorrow. It also ocurred to me that I could get a couple of liberty head nickels with the year 1911 stamped on them and inlay them into the middle.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:42 AM   #8

Name:  1911_Liberty_Nickel_Obv.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  47.3 KBName:  1911_Liberty_Nickel_Rev.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  63.1 KB
Here they are. Is this a good idea?

Old 02-09-2009, 02:10 AM   #9

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNabb11b View Post
Today was busy. first I drilled the holes to fit the weapon. Kinda reminds me of a GLOCK.
No way, not ugly enough!

Quote:
Now comes the decision making. I am either going to make an attempt at checkering on Wednesday, or leave as is and stain tomorrow. It also ocurred to me that I could get a couple of liberty head nickels with the year 1911 stamped on them and inlay them into the middle.
Decisions, decisions, decisions?

Mac I'm impressed! And the Liberty head nickels are a grest idea! Will the proportions be good? I'm thinkin' they may be a little big? Maybe a Barber dime? Lay one of the nickels on the grip and take a photo, let's see em.

IMHO, I'd go with smooth on the first attempt unless you have done checkering before. It's tough!

Maybe stippling? It's way easier.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-09-2009, 04:25 AM   #10

I had thought about using a penny but Lady Liberty seemed more romantic. I will try some stippling on some other wood to see if I like it. I do want to show some of the grain also, so I am pretty torn. Thanks for your help.