Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 1911 build question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911 build question...

Is it possible to build a reliable 1911 from the ground up W/O the need for gunsmithing? I feel like I've gotten very familiar with my GSR over the last year and I thought I might try my hand at a build.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Gus - You can probably do it, but there are a lot of "drop in" parts that require some semi custom fitting.

Obviously the better quality part that you buy, the better the chances of it dropping in correctly because it wouldn't be an off the rack, one size fits all part.

Having said that, with your background and your ability, I am sure you can do it, but just keep in mind that you might have to have a couple of parts "semi customized" by a gunsmith, so wait and have 2 or 3 items done at the same time to save you on the minimal shop time.....

What are you thinking about building?

JD

Old 02-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's entirely possible to build an 1911 that's 100% reliable for your 1st build. Now if you said you want sub 1" groups, that's the subject of a different story. The thing to remember is NOT to have tight fit anywhere, but slide/frame/etc simply touching. Decide before you start exactly how you want it so you won't be buying duplicate parts. I would HIGHLY recommend getting an 1911 how-to build book & almost memorizing it BEFORE even thinking about actually starting your build.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:24 AM   #4

Thanks you guys. JD, I was thinking about another CCO type like my GSR COmpact, or a Commander. Not really interested in full sized. I mainly was just curious if I could build a better gun than my GSR. Caldwell has a shooting rest along the lines of a Ransom Rest but cheaper. I'll pick one up and see what the real accuracy is on my GSR. Then maybe you guys could tell me if I can in fact beat the SIG with a handbuilt gun. 'bear, That'sgood advice on the book. That should be a must for any of us with 1911's.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:37 AM   #5

Gus - I have shot the GSR, and I have to tell you, it's a pretty accurate, well made pistol.

Could you build a better model? I think with some time, and some tinkering, you could probably achieve it.

The thing with the 1911, is that it's a level of a fetish that can NEVER be satisfied until you own your own CNC Machine Shop and you have gone into production for yourself.

I vote you save your cash, get yourself a Nighthawk on a payment plan from my good friend george@migunslingers.com, and call it a day...

But..... you a god damn Jeep guy, and you fools can't leave well enough alone, so let me know when you are looking at parts and I will gladly help you choose the REALLY good parts.

Nothing but love for you brother...

JD

Old 02-26-2009, 02:40 AM   #6

+1 on the 1911 fetish! On the one hand I feel sooo dirty, but at the same time 1911's make me feel all tingly inside.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
+1 on the 1911 fetish! On the one hand I feel sooo dirty, but at the same time 1911's make me feel all tingly inside.

Well, Cane and I are rebuilding existing 1911's into flame throwing Zombie Slayers - Maybe you start there?

Or, you order up a custom frame and slide and build it from the ground up. After all, it's only time and money.

JD

Old 03-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

I think you can do it. I did. I started with the base Colt Government. Everything in this pistol is AM except the frame, slide and ejector:

I did it all myself, drop in parts, fitted the beavertail,milled the slide for the Bo Mars. I cheated a little and sent the gun out for hard coating.

Just read up and go for it!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #9

Default Check out Caspian Arm

If you get serious about the project check out Caspian Arms on the web. They make great frames and slides.

Go to Brownell's on the web and request there 1911 catalog.

Good Luck,

Old 09-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
bb1

My first build was a Chinese 1911. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on stuff I was throwing away. The thing I learned was that you can't polish a turd. I made a vise to pull the rails in and some polishing jigs. That would be a good place to start.