Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 1911 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default 1911 build

I've recently seen 80% finished frames, hence no FFL required, for sale.

If I have limited tools and skills, how difficult is a 1911 build?

Can the rest of the parts be had? I see barrels and firing pins all over the place, and I assume springs wouldn't be an issue, but what about the rest?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would rank building a 1911 on the higher end of the home builder scale. A lot of the parts aren't drop in, so they require some proper tolerance fitting, and then if you have function problems, fine tuning them is also a bit of an adventure.

That said, you could probably do a good portion of the work at home and then take it to a good 1911 guy for him to fit any last parts and give it a clean bill of health.

It's definitely not impossible, and if you have a tinkerer's mentality, it might prove to be a good time for you. *shrug*

JD

Old 01-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

On an unfinished frame, will any heat treating be required? I know you have to do it on AK recievers, but I'm assuming that's because it's a stamping.

I want a 1911, mainly so when I grow up, I can be like Mr. D!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You know, I don't honestly know, but someone here will know for sure. I think it depends on what level of "finished" you get on the part you are ordering.

I would imagine that even if you got a blued model, once you did what you needed to do to get all the parts in place and working properly, the perfectionist would probably want it stripped down and re-blued anyways.

Brett used to build 1911's all the time, but he stopped before I started hanging out there, so I have never seen one from the start through the finished project, just changes to ones here or there along the way.

Supposedly a guy from a neighboring city called like 2 weeks ago and offered big money to have a 1911 made by Brett to his exact specs, ( it's an IPSC Race Gun ) so I might be able to see some of the process and maybe post some pictures.

I can't honestly say what you would and would not HAVE to do on a kit build though - I am not experienced in it hands on.

JD