Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > WWII Bayonet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hey, thanks for the link!! This is the same website I had saved!!!

Old 06-06-2009, 03:16 AM   #12

lol nice. i forgot that i stashed away a bayonet that i was given when i was younger sooo i am going to start lookin around to see if i can get some info on it. i'll post some pics of it soon

Old 06-07-2009, 04:37 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As you have already figured out, your Type 30 bayonet was made by Matshusita. This is a fairly late-war example. This would have been an 88th or 89th series piece, the 89th series being the last run of bayonets made by Matshusita. The series marks are on the pommel, along with the number you found. It is rare that one can state with any certainty that a Type 30 bayonet and scabbard are an original pair. However, this scabbard is most likely original to the bayonet. It is unique in having thicker string ties than other wooden scabbards. Compare yours to the wooden scabbard pics on my site (url below). The thick string is indicative of Matshusita manufacture.

Give the bayonet a light cleaning with superfine (0000) steel wool saturated in oil. This will remove any loose scale and stop further rusting. It would also be OK to go over the blade with acetone, lacquer thinner, etc. to try and remove the white paint. Just be sure to re-oil afterwards, so it doesn't start rusting. The scabbard is obviously quite dry and the string is likely pretty fragile. It's probably best to leave as is. If you are really careful, you may be able to chip some of the paint off with a fingernail.

Substitute-standard Type 99 rifles are quite common (as are the bayonets). You shouldn't have too much difficulty locating one at a reasonable price to go with your bayonet.

Congrats!

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Last edited by marysdad; 06-07-2009 at 04:40 AM.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:51 AM   #14

THANKS for the info. the think about the rifle is its hidden in the house somewhere. grandpa hide it rather well. it will be found.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:35 AM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Typically, if a sheath or scabbard is held together with string, it is so that the blade can be swung and cut through it , thereby deploying it faster than by drawing it.

I believe the Moros bound sheaths with fronds for this purpose, as well.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #16

I have the same bayonet except it has a steel scabbard and has the National Denki under Kokura supervision markings on it. It is in great condition other than the little bit of rust due to sitting in a closet for a long time. The blade is in great shape as well.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not the case with Japanese WW II wooden scabbards. Just hard up for steel, so using substitute materials. The throatpiece is steel, so any technique to try and destroy the scabbard, to deploy the bayonet, wouldn't be nearly as effective as drawing it the usual way.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 12-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #18

Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If it's an Arisaka, don't toch anything on it. Depending on the type, you'd be hard pressed to find anything but a reproduction today, so this may be very valuable.
hey i have what i belive is a arisaka type 30 bayonet and i was wondering if there was anyway you could help me identifiy it

thanks

Old 12-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cregan88 View Post
hey i have what i belive is a arisaka type 30 bayonet and i was wondering if there was anyway you could help me identifiy it

thanks
Need pictures.