WWII Bayonet

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > WWII Bayonet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default WWII Bayonet

My wife to be was left a japanese bayonet from WWII over a yr ago. I was wondering if anyone might know anything about it. I can get some pictures later. It has never been clean ( still has blood on the blade and scared to clean it for fear of messing up the blade ) and still being held by its Wooden scabbard. It was brought home by a Sailor of the US Navy. It sat in a closet for yrs. The rifle that went with the bayonet is said to be in the house some where but we have yet to find that..... YET.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
cbw

Pictures would help, I also have one that my father got in the war. It has a metal scabbard though. Lets see some pics.

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 04-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Try here: Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If it's an Arisaka, don't toch anything on it. Depending on the type, you'd be hard pressed to find anything but a reproduction today, so this may be very valuable.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:04 AM   #5

I will get some pictures as soon as i can. we dont live and a lil ways apart so it might take a lil while for me to get some.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #6

Default pictures

sorry it took so long guys. there are some number on the butt of the handle i couldnt get a picture of them. also the paint of whatever it is was on the scaberd when we was given this. the blade is about 15 inches long over all i'd say its about 20 inches long

fdaskjl-l-110.jpg   fdaskjl-l-111.jpg   fdaskjl-l-112.jpg   fdaskjl-l-113.jpg   fdaskjl-l-114.jpg  

Last edited by warrioroftheland; 05-27-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #7

Looks to be a Jap bayo. I have one just like it, with the rifle, bolt cover and mum still on, that my dad brought home from Burma during WWII. It was a battlefield pick-up.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22hustler View Post
Looks to be a Jap bayo.
it is i'm just trying to find out more about it.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #9

Check on the Internet. I had a great website on my "favorites" saved, showing all the different arsenal markings, dates of manf, and complete info on the different bayos the japs made during the war. However, my 'puter got a virus and I lost all that info. I do know it is on the Internet though. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #10

i found this site.. Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II
which told me that this bayonet was made by National Denki (National Electric).... then i found this site Japan
which told me that "Made by Matshusita National Denki, under Kokura Army Arsenal supervision. Matshusita National Denki translates to Matsu****a National Electric Co. They were founded in 1918 to make consumer household electric apppliances and have evolved into the present-day Panasonic Corporation."

AND

" Type 30

95th Series, late-war substitute-standard or "last-ditch" Type 30 bayonet. These bayonets went along with the 7.7 mm. Substitute-Standard Type 99 Short Rifle.

This example was made by the Hikari Seiki Seisaku-jo KK, under Kokura Army Arsenal supervision, in 1945. The 95th series was the final series produced by Hikari Seiki.

This bayonet exhibits the simplified manufacture typical of late-war substitute-standard bayonets:

Crude, unfullered blade;
Straight crosspiece;
Rectangular pommel; and,
Riveted, slab-sided grips.

The scabbard is a late-war wooden scabbard, held together with string. "

this means that if we can find it i can add a 7.7 mm. Substitute-Standard Type 99 Short Rifle to my collection!!