would like to know whats legal at a college? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > would like to know whats legal at a college?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

The smartest thing to do on a college campus is to be safety conscious. Tell her to never go out alone, especially at night. Have her lock her dorm room EVERY time she leaves or gets back. Also, tell her to be wary of the "safety partol" guys. When I was in college, there was a serial rapist on campus. It turned out that he was part of the safety patrol, and he would prey upon females he knew were alone for sure.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've got one of those mastiffs, sweetest dog ever. He's living with my brother now, awesome character, great to be around kids.

Anyway, on to the OP's question. Check UNC's regulations, some colleges do have strict rules about knives. Those two JD suggested are good knives (and also won't cost you an arm and a leg) but they are assisted opening folders, and that might not be OK for her depending on the university's regulations.

My advice, before thinking about what weapon to carry, is to look for some good training. There are some pretty good SD classes for women. Carrying a knife around without the proper training won't make her much safer. If she's not willing (or doesn't have the time) to train a few times a week, even shorter SD seminars can give her useful tools. While being fit and strong is always a plus, the proper mindset is much more important.

If knives are not a possibility, look into SD pens. Mil Tac has some great ones and offers a discount to supporting members.

If knives are an option, I'd say go for a small fixed blade with good retention. Something like an Emerson La Griffe (a Fred Perrin design), something from Ka-Bar's TDI line or something like that.

CRKT (Columbia River Knife and Tool) makes a more affordable version of the La Griffe called "Bearclaw". It's great for SD, especially for women at close quarters. It's small and easy to hide, and with your index finger through the hole it's very, very hard for an attacker to disarm you. It works mostly with traction and trapping techniques, similar to a kerambit, but even somebody with little training could use it employing the good old "slash like crazy" approach.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 05-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^^ And that is why he is the FTF Blade Expert.

Great choices Francisco. I chose the assisted opening models because of the speed of use, not the legality of use, for those that I gave them too. You are 100% correct though, they could cause problems with the locals and I should have noted that.

JD

Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #14

Likes Given: 1

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I am betting even the college would not be opposed to someone carrying a normal, ordinary pocket knife.

If they were, just put it in her purse and no one should be the wiser unless she gets searched going to a basketball game or something.

There are a lot of good, easy to deploy knives out there, but two that I have given to females in my past were the:

Amazon.com: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools TWI-8 Twitch II: Home Improvement

Kershaw SpeedSafe Knife, SpeedSafe Knives, SpeedSafe Liner Lock Knife

Currently my woman has her own handgun and CCL, but for her purse, when she is going places that the pistol might not be welcome, like her workplace, she always has one of these on her person.

YouTube - kimber guardian angel demo
thank you I think i am buying the first one for her

Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #15

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

My girlfriend carries a knife and pepper spray daily. I've got 50lbs on her easy, and I would not want to be on the receiving end should anyone try to attack her . That being said, she wants a .38 snubbie for her birthday so she can get her CCW. I'm a lucky dude

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 05-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova View Post
thank you I think i am buying the first one for her
The SOG Twitch II? That's a sweet knife. You can't see the pocket clip in the Amazon picture, but it's one of the best for discreet carry. It keeps the knife really deep in your pocket. The downside is that drawing it fast takes a bit more practice. The flipper functions as a guard, which is a very good thing for a knife that might be pressed into SD duty.

Have her try it out, if the metal handle is too sleek you can get some skateboard tape and stick it on the handle. There are all sorts of different grits and colours. A friend of mine uses one for his stainless steel handled Spydercos that's transparent and has a nice grippy surface but doesn't feel like sandpaper and actually looks nice. I'm sure your local hardware store has a good selection.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 05-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Here in LA a baseball bat in the car will not go over well with the PD. I have a four D cell Mag Light in my car. I gave the GF a three cell for her car.
Yeah, i have gone to a maglite as well, but on a college campus, i'd bet she could get a way with the bat. For a while, i just kept the handle to my lil floor jack in the door pocket (good grippy handle), for flats ya' know.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #18

Likes Given: 1

Default she says she couldn't stab someone or anything

tazer i think is what im going to buy now the pocket ones are not that bad of a price at gun shows ill take her with me