Will somebody explain this to me? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Will somebody explain this to me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

My personal experience with multi-purpose cutting or chopping tools usually ends in a trip to the ER for stitches. It's probably a personal coordination issue, but when you alter the rubber handle and add a saw blade or a pry bar my chance of injury goes sky high. I also try to avoid multiple blade tools that have a blade that points in my direction.

As a youth I had a job on a land survey crew. After cutting miles of line with a machete I can honestly tell you I never wished for a different hand tool. What I did wish for was something with a diesel engine and a blade. Maybe something made by Caterpillar?

Old 09-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #22

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
You can use it to cut kindling wood, kill people or crack walnuts. I shave with mine.
Oh big deal. I can do all that with my bare hands. Except the shaving part -- I cut my nails too short.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #23

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I recall that the Indians used Tomahawks as weapons primarily . White men apparently used " hatchets " for the same purpose as indicated in the Standing Orders of Rogers' Rangers :
" 19. Let the enemy come till he’s almost close enough to touch. Then let him have it and jump out and finish him up with your hatchet. "
http://www.goarmy.com/ranger/heritage/rodgers-orders.html

The Kukri is strong enough for mild chopping chores such as removing twigs and 1/2 " thick limbs from trees . It is a formidable weapon too. It can be used to slice, chop, stab, pry and scrape . Those characteristics make it probably the most versatile cutting tool . If I could take along only one survival knife, I'd take a Kukri and a muscular little Ghurka to weild it .

I cleared out underbrush with an army issue machete and it worked great . Next day, I had a nightmare case of poisin ivy / poison oak . That ended my machete testing .

I never tried the popular Woodman's Pal tool or the acclaimed Marble's Camp Axe .

Walmart sells Fiskars axes in the garden center . One such axe is a splitting axe .

Using these tools safely is especially important when you are out in the wild alone and far from medical help . That's when you must check your footing and balance, stay calm, focus on each swing or cut as a separate task, cut away from your body and know where the blade will end up if a chop goes wrong . Wear non-slip-soled boots and choose a level work area with no vegetation to interfere with your swings . Resharpen the tool as needed . If it is a survival situation, don't work while experiencing panic ; settle down first . Remember :
" Everyone will be alone at some time in his life. At least you'll have company in that ".

Old 11-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #24

Liked 2551 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

I carry a a heavy Bowie thru the woods simply because it's

got a heavier, shorter, sturdier blade than a machete. IME,

much easier to carry, and more effective for the cutting I do in

the woods.

As to camping, collect the wood that's too big, and nobody wants.

Split it with a maul, then use a hand-axe for the kindling, & tinder.

If you get out to the deep woods, IME, there's plenty of wood

laying around. Little processing is needed. But what do I know,

I've just been camping for 45 years.

Tomahawks? Well everybody's entitled to a bit of failed

experimentation, and the cost which goes with it.

Last edited by therewolf; 11-29-2013 at 04:48 AM.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #25
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8505 Times on 4922 Posts
Likes Given: 11055

Y'all are forgetting the good old Peace-pipe tomahawk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C38dSPTuV_Q

When truck camping I bring a chainsaw, maul, machete and if I can find the damn thing a short-handled kindling splitting maul. Backpacking I will bring a machete as it is lighter than the axe and because of the longer blade I can split wood easily with it or use it to cut larger pieces too. The key is to have a razor sharp blade. Way too many people don't properly sharpen their blades (this goes for axe, maul, machete or what have you) and beat themselves up hammering away at something with a blunt blade. I prefer the Corona 22" for general work. Costs $10.38. They make them in Colombia and in China, but I actually prefer the Chinese ones because they are a bit heavier and the weight helps when cutting larger stuff.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.