Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Will somebody explain this to me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Will somebody explain this to me?

I used to think I had it figured out. A knife was for cutting; a hatchet was for chopping wood; and a machete was for clearing brush or hacking through a jungle.

Then people started talking about how they could use their knife to baton through a pine tree, or asking what machete was the best for chopping wood. Somehow the hatchet fell out of favor, but was replaced by it's cousin, the tomahawk.

Now, when camping, I always have a hatchet along. Chop with one side, hammer with the other. Handy tool. Occasionally I have had a use for a machete, and sometimes I had one along, and sometimes I didn't.

But I have never said, "Gosh, if I only had my tomahawk this [insert brushcraft chore here] would be a lot easier".

Now, 'hawks can be fun, but they are, in my opinion and experience, not nearly as good as chopping wood as a hatchet. I guess you can throw a 'hawk if you practice a lot, but it's not a skill that the need has ever come up when I was camping. To my way of thinking it's more of a weapon than a tool, but if any toothy, clawed outdoors critter thinks that I have any plans on making it a fair fight, they are sadly mistaken. I will just do an Indiana Jones sorta shrug, then shoot their ass.

So . . . tomahawk fans, enlighten me on the benefits of the 'hawk as opposed to a hatchet for surviving the great and the not so great outdoors.

Last edited by txpossum; 09-29-2013 at 06:23 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #2

Liked 620 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

I think the Kukri is the over all downfall of the hatchet. Often people think that since you can cut small pieces of wood with a Kukri, you can also cut it with ANY machete.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
I think the Kukri is the over all downfall of the hatchet. Often people think that since you can cut small pieces of wood with a Kukri, you can also cut it with ANY machete.
It always seemed to me that a machete should have a fairly thin, flexible, and lightweight blade, so one's arm wouldn't get tired of swinging them all day when clearing path through the jungle, or removing undergrowth or whatever. Swinging a blade substantial enough to chop through wood like an axe would get old pretty quickly.

But . . . what about the tomahawk?

Old 09-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
It always seemed to me that a machete should have a fairly thin, flexible, and lightweight blade, so one's arm wouldn't get tired of swinging them all day when clearing path through the jungle, or removing undergrowth or whatever. Swinging a blade substantial enough to chop through wood like an axe would get old pretty quickly.

But . . . what about the tomahawk?
Us hi-class hillbillys call that a Thomas Hawk

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
So . . . tomahawk fans, enlighten me on the benefits of the 'hawk as opposed to a hatchet for surviving the great and the not so great outdoors.
Oh ... Didn't you know? This is what the tomahawk is used for: http://m.youtube.com/watch?

feature=player_embedded&v=ecmdZlNcc2Q&desktop_uri= %2Fwatch%3Fv%3DecmdZlNcc2Q%26feature%3Dplayer_embe dded
Here's the thread about it. You might learn something:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/its-official-tacticool-has-gone-too-far-97730/

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6581 Times on 3598 Posts
Likes Given: 12901

Who carries a tomahawk? I chop with an axe.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Oh ... Didn't you know? This is what the tomahawk is used for: [url]http://m.youtube.com/watch?
Wow, I hope that guy never has any issues with elementary schools, movie theaters, navy yards, or post offices. Did he ever once even fire a gun?

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 09-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Well, that guy certainly seems to have a lot of energy.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #9

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

In the beginning of the video he holstered a gun. Why is he throwing a tomahawk? I would run to cover and ...bang, bang, bang, bang. I just don't get it. Not even a little bit.

I take a hatchet into the woods. I have used a machete to cut a trail. Can't think of anything that would have worked better.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 09-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20861 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

IMO, a tomahawk is like a multi-use tool.

i would prefer a hatchet or an axe myself.

machetes are for weeds and vines, not trees. but use one if that's all you have with you.

knives, axes, hatchets, machetes are tools. all tools usually have a specific purpose. when used for that specific purpose they usually perform as they are required to and do their intended job.

multi-purpose tools are usually designed to take the job of several different tools to decrease space needed to carry or store them. many times they do an adequate job for a short period of time.

People Like This