Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Wifes new fixed blade knife (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/wifes-new-fixed-blade-knife-56586/)

griffin81 01-29-2012 09:34 PM

Wifes new fixed blade knife

5 Attachment(s)
It's finished my newest knife 5th one i have made. It's for my wife. It would make a good skinning knife but I don't think she will ever use it for that. Now I just have to have my local leather guy do a sheath for it. Thanks for looking!
What do you guys think?
Attachment 38376
Blade
Attachment 38377
Handle
Attachment 38378
Finished
Attachment 38379
side A
Attachment 38380
side B

play the victim, be the victim

Marlinman 01-29-2012 10:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Nice knife mon ami. My mentors son made me this one

Attachment 38388

Attachment 38389

Attachment 38390

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

griffin81 01-29-2012 11:05 PM

Marlin That is a big awesome knife. Can't help but like that one. I like the grove in the blade. I hope to be able to do a clean grove like that one day.

Marlinman 01-29-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffin81
Marlin That is a big awesome knife. Can't help but like that one. I like the grove in the blade. I hope to be able to do a clean grove like that one day.

He makes knives as a hobby and sells them occasionally. My hand axe in my huntin pack was made by him same as my good hunting knife. Most of my kitchen knives are made by him to. His knives are very......light. his specialty is makin alloy knives. Usually w titanium. He makes alot of knives and stuff out of leaf springs. My axe has 60 folds in the head. The knife i posted has about the same #. Its made of 480 ss.

griffin81 01-29-2012 11:42 PM

That's awesome, I just started making knifes but its a good hobby for me this time of year. I'm using large saw blades to make mine. A guy I work with makes them out of the same blades and sells a lot of his. He also does damascus steel too I wish I has the equipment at home to do It. But till I get better I'm gonna stick to saw blade knifes and maybe a file and leaf spring or two.

Marlinman 01-29-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

That's awesome, I just started making knifes but its a good hobby for me this time of year. I'm using large saw blades to make mine. A guy I work with makes them out of the same blades and sells a lot of his. He also does damascus steel too I wish I has the equipment at home to do It. But till I get better I'm gonna stick to saw blade knifes and maybe a file and leaf spring or two.

Files make good blades....so does 55 gallon drums. If you have a forge or torche that is. The torch requires help though. Iv made a few knives w him. And i loved it. Then again my main passion besides my fiancee is gunsmithing and weldin. Plus i hunt/fish almost year round.

griffin81 01-29-2012 11:56 PM

I may look into building a coal fire pit to do some blades. I have a kiln i just have to put the new controller on.

Marlinman 01-30-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

I may look into building a coal fire pit to do some blades. I have a kiln i just have to put the new controller on.

Since i have the talent he supplied the welder and materials. I made his forge for him. Its propane and coal fired. Its 3' T x 2 1/2' W x 4' D inside.

griffin81 01-30-2012 12:11 AM

I may have to look online at some pics and see if I can't find some steel to build one this spring.

Marlinman 01-30-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

How thick is was the steel you used?

3/4" i flux core welded it. I single bevelled all pieces to weld. Once i had it all welded together i welded 18" long legs on the bottom made of rail road rails he bought from BNSF for that purpose.