Why there are only flying unmanned weapons?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Why there are only flying unmanned weapons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Why there are only flying unmanned weapons?

I was wondering if anyone here knows about why there exists only these kinds of weapons. Why is the Predator the only type of unmanned war machine in existence?

I though doing stuff ON the ground was easier than in the sky. But it seems like it's totally the opposite. The same goes for sea unmanned weapons. I've never heard of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #2

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Oh the machine gun toting robots and RC toys are in development. Amazingly, it's easier to fly an RC airplane, than it is to navigate ground based RC equipment over and around some obstacles.

That's all there is to it. Researchers are working on it though.

As far as water based RC weapons? I think there's just no call for it right now. We aren't fighting any navies, but there are ideas for using RC submersibles to disarm underwater mines. So, the tech is there, just no need to be using it.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

There is a lag between command and actions. In the air, that lag is acceptable, and you have the advantage of being above the surface and easier to get a signal to the plane. On the ground, could be unacceptable. Speculating on sea, it may be tougher to get the signal to the "ship"

Old 10-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #4

Liked 713 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'm sure they have far more than we know.
I have a friend that has been working with the ground robots in the army. No real info on them from him, but they do have them.

8:08 starts talking about it.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 10-31-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

submerged RC stuff doesnt work. salt water stops high frequency radio signals needed to send data back and forth. the main issue is time over or at target area. flight can be extremely fuel efficient so time over target can be measured in days.

electric/solar power is ridiculously innefficient as is gas or other similar fuels powering ground vehicles. a surface support crew would have to be stationed fairly close.

ground bots are used at a unit level for recon but there is no way they can fill a role similar to a predator.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-31-2011, 12:18 AM   #6

Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

An unmanned ground vehicle would lose the element of surprise, and render it useless. The predator is so sucessful because you can't see it coming, either by eye or radar; you can't fight what you can't see.

A RC tank would be just as susceptable to a RPG, mine or IED as a soft manned vehicle. We have had remote controlled underwater navy vessels for many years, they are called torpodes.

Full size ships would not make good unmanned vehicles, yet, because they are so dang complicated to run. While many systems on ships are completly computer controlled, it still takes a machinest mate to grease the shaft bearings, and a bosun to scrape the paint.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakarovJAC View Post
I was wondering if anyone here knows about why there exists only these kinds of weapons. Why is the Predator the only type of unmanned war machine in existence?

I though doing stuff ON the ground was easier than in the sky. But it seems like it's totally the opposite. The same goes for sea unmanned weapons. I've never heard of them.
The predator is not the only unmanned flying war machine in the air. Most countries in the world have their own versions. We also have remote vehicles and subs.

Ever seen big dog? Ground pounders won't need to carry 100 lb packs anymore.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #8

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by group17 View Post
The predator is not the only unmanned flying war machine in the air. Most countries in the world have their own versions. We also have remote vehicles and subs.

Ever seen big dog? Ground pounders won't need to carry 100 lb packs anymore.
Not quite there yet, but damn that's cool. fix the noise issue, and work on putting some kind of feet on it, so it can keep up.

Moves so good, I almost felt sorry for it when it stepped on the ice.