why are switchblades illegal? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > why are switchblades illegal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 04:30 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

There is that.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #32

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Auto knives are illegal? Oops

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 07-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #33

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

The springmesser is die beste! Hubertus makes the best, with careful German engineering!

Klaus

Old 07-29-2009, 02:15 AM   #34

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

i think in CT its any knife bigger than 3 1/2 inches to carry, and no switchblades, which is, as forementioned, stupid due to the development of assisted opening knives. i also heard that double edged knives are illegal to carry in CT as well, but idk. carrying knives is important to me because 1. its the only legal form of defense i have 2. a bladed weapon is the best weapon to have (besides your head) and 3. knives are more readily available, cheap, reliable, and easy to use than firearms. also, i cant carry a firearm in my vehicle either, still a minor.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #35

Because switchblades in the eyes of liberals, go hand in hand with gangs, criminals, street thugs, etc. Personally, I feel switchblades are a waste of time. I would rather have a big bowie knife or a katana lol. I'd be like crocodile dundee. You call that a knife? Bust out my 8 1/2 bowie knife and be like, now this is a knife.

It's because people misunderstand switchblades. Switchblades are no more dangerous than pocket knifes, bowie knives, or like brass knuckles.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #36
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I can get legal knives open faster than a switchblade. It just takes a single Politican looking to claim he saved the day to ruin freedoms.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #37

Besides, doesn't the "right to bear arms" mean we are legally allowed to own and carry switchblades? This is the entire issue at hand here and the "2nd amendment rights" debate does not end at firearms. If they take away switchblades, what's to say they will stop there? Will they chop your hands off because they could be considered weapons? Will they remove your brain because your free thinking could be a threat to them?

I recently read a book called "The Conscience of a Libertarian" by Wayne Allyn Root. It was a great book and I highly recommend it for everyone to check out. In it, he specifically talks about gun rights enthusiasts, hunters and gun owners. He says that as a Jewish-American, he has a unique and special understanding of the need for gun ownership. Millions of his fellow Jews died in the Holocaust. Their government took them away from their families, stole their businesses, imprisoned them, tortured them, enslaved them and murdered them. How did it all start? In 1938, Hitler passed a law that banned the manufacture and ownership of guns by Jews. Before he could imprison, enslave and murder more than 6 million Jews, he first disarmed them. The famous saying in Israel is "never again." This is just one reason why Israelis are armed to the teeth.

Now with that said... I do not want to end up like those 6 million Jews. All it takes is for them to disarm us little by little, take away your knives, or any other line of defense, then it will move onto guns, and sooner or later, we are sitting ducks.

Don't let the government sell you the idea that they are good and that you are safe. That's how they disarm you. They make you believe there is no need for such weapons. But the way I see it, there will always be a need for weapons, whether it's knives or guns. Our Founding Fathers put the 2nd Amendment in the Bill of Rights, not just to protect ourselves against criminals, wild animals or stuff like that, but to shield us against an oppressive government. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights just as easily as a king can.

Last edited by hogger129; 08-03-2009 at 09:00 PM.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #38

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Attachment 4718

can get you the NSN for these.
Wow! That's the first non existent knife I ever seen!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #39

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Whether they are illegal or not, switchblades are awesome. In the eight grade I had to watch "The Outsiders" and after that I fell in love with them. It is funny, they are illegal here in VA, but they sell them at the mall and I carry mine on me. I've been searched twice by police who both times looked at it, opened it, and gave mine back to me. However, I will note my blade is only 2 1/2 inches. Also a side note, they have a NO WEOPONS sign at the mall but sell knives and swords there. just a show of libtard stupidity.

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #40

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid20 View Post
Whether they are illegal or not, switchblades are awesome. In the eight grade I had to watch "The Outsiders" and after that I fell in love with them. It is funny, they are illegal here in VA, but they sell them at the mall and I carry mine on me. I've been searched twice by police who both times looked at it, opened it, and gave mine back to me. However, I will note my blade is only 2 1/2 inches. Also a side note, they have a NO WEOPONS sign at the mall but sell knives and swords there. just a show of libtard stupidity.
You are SO lucky. In VA any cop who wants an easy arrest can simply charge you with possesion of a switchblade knife, and that will be that. Matter of fact he can (in many VA places) simply confiscate it, giving you a receipt if requested, and a mandatory summons for court showing the aforementioned charge. Good luck finding a meaningful job after that CCW charge shows up on a background check.

In VA a Switchblade knife is ANY knife whose opening mechanism utilizes a spring. Sure they sell auto Kershaws and others in the mall, but to actually put one in your pocket and carry it, you better be a card carrying 'conservator of the peace' (this means a state authorized cop of some kind). In actuality there has been one or two court rulings that like many other prohibited things in VA, you can have one in your home, but you just can't ever bring it outside.

My Kershaw Leek is my preferred @ home letter opener.

Decades ago in NYC a switchblade knife (under 265 of the NY PL) was any knife whose opening used a switch. Dunno if that definition has been updated or not. Having abandoned that Communist run city decades ago, don't much care. Those who do can grab their taxable income and vote with their feet as I did.

I lack the knowledge as to whether or not the NY Sullivan Act included switchblades before, or after, the National legislation to ban the mailing of switchblade knives. In either case, I view it as just a first step towards arms control directed against the populace. I.e., gun control. Start small and work up to actual guns later. They passed it, got away with it by focusing on juvenile crime, no one important objected, and in a few years moved against guns in 1968 and by waving the assassinations as a flag, even the NRA withdrew objections. No significant 'politically important' outcry has yet resulted about the Switchblade Act. Knives and guns go together. Ban one, and the other should soon follow.

The issue of 'right to bear arms' and 'other weapons' came up before the US Supreme Ct. decades ago. In that ruling the issue was a sawed off shotgun. At that time the Supreme Ct. decided (for unknown reasons) the 2nd amendment meant military weapons only, AND only if you were a member of the Militia. (All males of certain ages, but not females, in America are.) Following this logic the SC decided that since sawed off shotguns were not military issue weapons (they had been, but no one bothered to mention that to the court) they could be banned. Arguing a switchblade knife should be permissible would seem to require being prepared to argue in court that the MC-1 knife exists as a military issue weapon and that your weapon is so similar as to be virtually the same thing. In as much as the MC-1 is not issued as a weapon, but rather instead as a tool for paratroopers, unless you belong to a state defense force paratrooper unit (I don't think there is one) I think the court fight would be an uphill fight. It would probably be easier to seek a change in Federal law. Perhaps with a bill the preamble of which could be; Having found that the previous legislation has had no meaningful effect on preventing juvenile crime while at the same time throwing dozens of citizens in jail for no reason other than being 'otherwise innocent' bystanders of mis-guided efforts to reduce crimes committed by juveniles the Congress hereby repeals... Good luck with that.

Tags
switchblade