Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > why are switchblades illegal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StunGunsHQ View Post
Can someone tell me exactly what the law says about Balisong knives? Are the laws governing Balisong's state to state governed or is it a Federal thing?

I personally think that a lot of these outdated laws governing weapons and knives should be revisited and done away with. Maybe not during our currrent administrations term in office, but perhaps when we have an administration who stands behind the 2nd Ammendment more!
I believe they are illegal to carry in the entire country but not illegal to sell in the stores.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Blade lengths also come into play. I can own a switch with a fifteen inch blade in my state, as long as it's part of a collection and I don't carry. Ever.

Cali allows switchblades to be carried, but the blade length is very small.

It's all so confusing.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #13

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I can own and do own a switch blade and can carry it legaly in Kentucky as long as I have my CCWP

Old 07-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
Huntermarksman338 is correct if in his statement. It is called the "HOLLYWOOD" law. Too many uneducated lawmakers watching too many bad Follywood movies, a dangerous combination. By the way the military can and do issue "SWITCHBLADE" knives. These type knive are actually called automatics or auto openers. Also it is still legal to own and carry an automatic knife IF you only have one arm.
I believe you're wrong about the military.. When I served, it was DEFINATELY illegal to own/carry a switchblade, straight-razor, brass knuckles, or any other similiar weapon.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8373 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Hustler, in MOST circumstances. you are corre3ct, HOWEVER-

There is an issue (yep, issue- they give you one) pocket knife that is equipment for jumpers. Airborne and pilots that wear a chute. Current version has 2 blades, orange handle. One is about a 3 inch switchblade. The other is a rigging blade- curved in a hook, sharpened on inside of hook, made to reach back, snag a suspension line, and cut it.

Best not find you carrying one down at the PX beer hall, anymore than you would carry your M-16 to the beer hall.

Justification for issue of a switchblade? You can open it with one hand.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #16

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Hustler, in MOST circumstances. you are corre3ct, HOWEVER-

There is an issue (yep, issue- they give you one) pocket knife that is equipment for jumpers. Airborne and pilots that wear a chute. Current version has 2 blades, orange handle. One is about a 3 inch switchblade. The other is a rigging blade- curved in a hook, sharpened on inside of hook, made to reach back, snag a suspension line, and cut it.

Best not find you carrying one down at the PX beer hall, anymore than you would carry your M-16 to the beer hall.

Justification for issue of a switchblade? You can open it with one hand.
Indeed, you are correct, I still have my old issued knife. As far as being illegal to carry, that only becomes an issue when and where you decide to make yourself noticeable by your actions, that would no doubt raise curiosity to someone who could make you an example with lawful consequences.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Colonial makes the paratrooper auto. Not sure what the rules are today, but in my time in, you'd be in deep doo doo with anything beyond a pocket folder.

I graduated basic, and this was mid-80's, at the height of Rambo fever, and immediately got a field knife. Got to my first duty station, and had it confiscated. Our B.C. claimed that the saw on the back violated the Geneva Convention, as it could cut bone.

This was in Germany, one of those places with little crime, and switchblades were legal and abundant.

I bought a bayonet and modified it. Best field knife I ever had.

It has always been, and continues to be, my view that soldiers should be allowed whatever they wish as far as arms.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #18

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
It has always been, and continues to be, my view that soldiers should be allowed whatever they wish as far as arms.
I like the cut of your jib and your obviously acute attention to reasoning there BB, you are welcome to come play on my team anytime you like.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Nunchuka are illegal in some states like NY and Cali as well. I don't practice with them, but as a martial artist I have many firends that do. I found them painful to learn how to use.

Stupid laws.....

Old 07-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8373 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Quote:
Can someone tell me exactly what the law says about Balisong knives
Do not think FEDERAL law addresses balisongs- I know state of Nevada, they are a felony. In Mass., my Gerber Mk I is an "assault knife" because it is a 2 edged blade. In VA, illegal to sell shurikens (throwing stars).

And for all of you that expect laws to make sense...... I am certain you will have other disappointments in life to add to that!

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Tags
switchblade