Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > why are switchblades illegal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default why are switchblades illegal?

here in michigan and other places,switchblades are illegal.Why?If I can possess an ak47 style semi auto rifle,why can't I possess a little knife?Open carry of handguns is legal here for people without carry permits here,but I can't even own a little spring knife?What's the deal?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's Knee-Jerk legislation decision making. The lawmakers seeing too many hollywood movies. Seeing all the criminals and the bad guys with these knives as well as balisong knives and they automatically assume that these knives are designed and used by criminals and thus should be outlawed.

Which is funny, since you can deploy a fixed blade knife faster than some autos and they can do more damage but they are perfectly legal to carry openly on your belt or strapped to your pack. At least I can do that here in California, believe it or not.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:32 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Huntermarksman338 is correct if in his statement. It is called the "HOLLYWOOD" law. Too many uneducated lawmakers watching too many bad Follywood movies, a dangerous combination. By the way the military can and do issue "SWITCHBLADE" knives. These type knive are actually called automatics or auto openers. Also it is still legal to own and carry an automatic knife IF you only have one arm.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #4

Well, maybe you can carry it around, just be careful not to get caught.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #5

You just need to show that you can't operate a closed knife with both hands. I have some nerve damage in my neck that affects my thumb and forefinger (blown C5/6 & C6/7). If I pushed the issue, I could probably get a waiver, but, IMHO, the thumb-openers seem fast enough to do the job.

Are gravity-drop knives illegal? Technically not a switchblade since there's no spring power behind it. Guess it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Which brings up the issue of be careful where you carry; what's legal in your town may be illegal 20 miles down the road.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #6

Spring assisted are similar, but legal. No button to press, but takes very little effort to open it. I love mine, though.

S.S.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well, what I've noticed in my town is that a lot of people have been ignoring this law. There are tactical stores in my town that sell auto knives and balisongs, police walk in there and they see them and don't mind. I've met two guys at the mormon church I've visited and they carried balisongs on their person clipped to their pant pocket. I've asked them about what they would do if they encountered a police officer with those on them. Well, apparently they have met up with police before but they didn't arrest them on felony charges or even give them a warning for carrying them. These dudes were decent god fearing guys and maybe thats why the officer didn't harsh on them for it.

All I know is people are still buying balisongs and autos regardless of this stupid law and I think a lot of police think it's stupid too. If your some street punk, troublemaking, ganger-looking, thug and a police officer sees one of those on you, yeah he/she will bust you for having it. If your none of those things I've listed and the officer sees one of those knives on your person more likely they would give you a warning, not give a rat's hind end, or the worst case, just confiscate it. Remember there are some real ***hole police officers out there too. It's your discretion really.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterMarksman338 View Post
Well, what I've noticed in my town is that a lot of people have been ignoring this law. There are tactical stores in my town that sell auto knives and balisongs, police walk in there and they see them and don't mind. I've met two guys at the mormon church I've visited and they carried balisongs on their person clipped to their pant pocket. I've asked them about what they would do if they encountered a police officer with those on them. Well, apparently they have met up with police before but they didn't arrest them on felony charges or even give them a warning for carrying them. These dudes were decent god fearing guys and maybe thats why the officer didn't harsh on them for it.

All I know is people are still buying balisongs and autos regardless of this stupid law and I think a lot of police think it's stupid too. If your some street punk, troublemaking, ganger-looking, thug and a police officer sees one of those on you, yeah he/she will bust you for having it. If your none of those things I've listed and the officer sees one of those knives on your person more likely they would give you a warning, not give a rat's hind end, or the worst case, just confiscate it. Remember there are some real ***hole police officers out there too. It's your discretion really.
Just because it may be illegal to posess and use, it does not mean it is illegal to sell.

I'm just sayin'..

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-19-2009, 03:17 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

1950's delinquent "Blackboard Jungle" cinema. Everyone is spot on, legislation came up at the same time as these movies.

It's a stupid and confusing law, and each state has their own confusing add-ons to the Federal laws.

That said, assisted openers are comparatively inexpensive, built stronger (as a rule), and open as quickly.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #10

Default What is the law?

Can someone tell me exactly what the law says about Balisong knives? Are the laws governing Balisong's state to state governed or is it a Federal thing?

I personally think that a lot of these outdated laws governing weapons and knives should be revisited and done away with. Maybe not during our currrent administrations term in office, but perhaps when we have an administration who stands behind the 2nd Ammendment more!

Need a Stun Gun or a Taser C2? Use our coupon codes to get them for $75.00 off a Taser C2 or $150.00 off a Taser X26C.

Tags
switchblade