Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Why Razels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Why Razels?

Maybe Francisco can get on this, I'm seeing these everywhere now, with lots of explanations for the blade shape, probably add one to the collection, but what's the real deal with something that appears to be a glorified chisel?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been intrigued by the design for a while, too. My main interest is in utility knives, I only started looking into self defense oriented ones recently, so I got a couple of the Graham brothers Razels to check out a while ago since a friend that had one raved about it. Since I sell knives, I often just get something to check it out and I can just put it up for sale if I don't like it.

The Pocket Utility Razel was quite nice, decent size and sharp. This guys are good, fit and finish was excellent, the handle was really comfy. I decided to keep it, but after the novelty wore off I started carrying it less and less. It's a good design, but I don't use a chisel that often, and I carry multitools constantly so I only need my main knife to cut, that's it.

The Stubby Ringed Razel I tried out was not as useful, although it was equally well made it just didn't have enough of a cutting edge for my needs. Being a kerambit freak, I loved the ring, though.

I'm very fond of sheepfoot blades for utility work, so I love a straight edge and don't mind having no point, but I just never got used to that chisel like edge (it's ground on both sides, though) on the tip. I have no real use for it.

My feeling is that this knife appealed to a lot of people who use their knives for non-knife chores and kept snapping the tips off, or collectors who just liked the shape.

If you feel like trying one out, try to find one of the CRKT ones for a good price (the ringed one is nice for about $65). Just keep in mind that the custom ones by the Grahams start at around $200, for a handmade knife with Paul Bos heat treated 154CM blade that's a great price.

Another advantage of the design is that it's quite sheeple friendly. I'm always doing repairs around the office (I can't sit still at a desk!) and some of my knives raise some eyebrows, but nobody minds the CRKT Ringed Razel I've been using as a beater. If you want I can try to write up a sort of review of that one.

Sorry for the rambling, in a nutshell, in my very personal opinion the "stubby" ones are glorified chisels, the ones with blades in the 3" area are actually quite useful for everyday stuff. The bigger ones and the folding ones just don't make much sense to me. The original design, a pocket utility fixed blade, it the one that works best.

Let me know if you want to know something more specific, I just love talking knives.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 12-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You and I tend to have similar tastes, so yeah, I kinda had the same impressions. The design intrigues me, but I really can't justify buying it, simply because I can't think of a use for it. I just don't see it performing better than any other design.

Good point about the "sheeple factor", though.

Thanks, Francisco!

Old 12-03-2009, 04:09 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
I just don't see it performing better than any other design.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. They are nice, but they aren't God's gift to knife users.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #5

Liked 89 Times on 56 Posts

Knife makers are doing anything they can do be different, and stand out in a crowded and competitive field. The Razel is certainly different-which seems to sell knives these days.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Bill, welcome aboard.

I see your work everywhere, please post some pics here, I know the guys would enjoy it.

Newest Threads