Who Makes your Primary Field Knife... - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Who Makes your Primary Field Knife...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Mora of Sweden makes my knife. It has a stainless steel blade, rubber coated grip and a light weight
of about only 300grams with the sheath. And with very resonable price of about $12-17, it is my choice of a field knife.
Mora of Sweden

Old 04-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #32

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

China makes almost every American brand now, except for Ka-Bar which is made in Taiwan (free China).

My father was given a Swede made folding knife as a gift when he went there on business in the 80's. Sharpest damn knife I've ever used. I've been using it for skinning for years, and it has never needed sharpening.

I will try to find out the mfr and let you know. I'm sure you know of them since you are The Swede!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #33

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Not true S.C. - Mission Knives is made in Kalifornia. Same with most of the blades by Cold Steel. SOG is made here in Lynnwood, Washington. There are a lot of US made knives still for sale. Some of the product lines may include blades made overseas, but they are generally the cheaper ones of the product line...

JD

Old 04-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #34

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Good to know. I have difficulty finding knives for general use that are not made overseas that aren't boucoup dollars.

I received as a gift for beeing a groomsman a Frost 35yr anniversary edidtion saddlehorn knife with ram's horn handles, nickel silver bolsters and brass pins. Nice knife, but made in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #35

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post

I received as a gift for beeing a groomsman a Frost 35yr anniversary edidtion saddlehorn knife with ram's horn handles, nickel silver bolsters and brass pins. Nice knife, but made in China.
Pictures?? Must see!! *grabby hands*

Old 04-06-2009, 03:52 AM   #36

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

While most knives listed in the above thread are good knives dont forget the granddaddy of all AMERICAN knives. Case knives are the most collected and desirable knives ever produced bar none. Entire books have been written on just this brand alone. It seems the only knives people are interested in have stainless blades and plastic or steel handles. These have no personality or class in MHO. I remember when we compared knives and showed off our beautiful bone handles and sculptued blades. But alas these days are gone. Heck I can even remember when a knife was made for cutting, instead of being used as a prybar. My everyday carry knife? A 1930's greenbone handled, Case Tested XX 2 blade jack. With it I CUT many things a week. I have cleaned fish and skinned and gutted many big game animals including elk and buffalo.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #37

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The company that makes my knife is RUKO, apparently a canadian company... sturdy, durable, i love it.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:11 AM   #38

Default Buck Squire

I started carrying a Buck folder on my belt when I was a Cub Scout (probably because Bo and Luke did.) In college and just after, I worked in an office environment and wearing a belt knife looked out of place so I moved it to my pocket so people would stop asking me about it. After work, it went right back on. After ruining too many pockets in too many pairs of pants, I quietly moved it back to my belt. Luckily, the popularity of Leatherman tools, made my knife case stick out less than it used to. I had it on at both my wedding and my dad's funeral.

To be honest, I have about 10 knives that I rotate for daily wear. I match them to my outfits like my wife matches her shoes. (Honey, does this switchblade make me look fat?) I have had a Buck Squire consistently since 1982. I say consistently because I've lost two and immediately replaced them. It's like an extension of my hand. The action is smooth and tight. The lock is secure. I can reach everywhere to clean it and it keeps an edge like the old ads said. I like Case and Boker too, but I will always have a Buck.

The Squire's blade is about as long as my index finger, which is a good size for a pocket knife. I don't seriously consider my knife a weapon except under the most peculiar of circumstances. If I don't have my gun, pepper spray or a bat, I'd rather have my hands free than introduce a knife to a fight. That said, I don't like to be anywhere without a knife. I won't carry a knife that I can't use. I use my knife as a pry bar, a fire poker, a screwdriver, a hammer, sometimes an eating utensil. I've broken a few and lost several. When you lose or destroy your Buck, you go buy another one just like it. Also, their cases go with any attire.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:58 AM   #39

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
All the knives you guys carry put mine to shame! I've never been able to spend much on any of my knives but I've been carrying a gerber for years and it does every job i've asked of it. I've always had good luck with them and if anything happen to it I wasn't too upset. I've also got a S&W folding knife I carry daily, it's titanium and like dillinger said, I love long it holds an edge!
I carry a gerber folding knife with me just about everywhere. I don't know the name or model, a friend gave it to me. It has a sturdy blade, and a nice setup. Always been reliable when it needs to be, from cutting rope and line to cleaning game it gets the job done.