Who Makes your Primary Field Knife... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Who Makes your Primary Field Knife...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
A 3.5 inch blade is actually too short to guarantee serious damage to another human being. You CAN slash effectively with it; but, unless you really understand human anatomy and, also, know what you're supposed to be doing with a short blade, it's unlikely that you'll be able to quickly debilitate an opponent by opening up an artery or collapsing the diaphragm in a single strike.

After extensive field testing, Captain Wm. E. Fairbairn stated that a 5" blade is the shortest blade, possible, that may be used in order to guarantee penetration to the heart under any and all circumstances, and from any and all angles of attack.

I'm very familiar with karambit technique. Undoubtedly, in skilled hands, a karambit is an excellent surprise edged weapon; but, if you should try to use something like that against an experienced knifefighter who's coming at you with a 5" (or longer) blade, you'll probably end up getting yourself cut to smithereens.

Here's one of the best utility/fighting knives in the world. It comes, standard, with a 7 1/2" blade that includes a sharpened top, 'false edge'.

Randall-Made Model #14 -

I'm more likely to strip wire, cut rope or open a box with a knife than I am kill someone. I'm also more likely to skin game than I am a man. Anything with too long a blade becomes clumsy and unweildy when gutting and skinning.

How many people have you killed with a knife?

How many boxes have you opened with a knife?

I am able to open a kidney/renal artery, aorta, corotid artery, jugular vein, trachea, eye or temple with my little 3.5 inch blade if need be though.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 07-28-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
How many people have you killed with a knife? How many boxes have you opened with a knife? I am able to open a kidney/renal artery, aorta, corotid artery, jugular vein, trachea, eye or temple with my little 3.5 inch blade if need be though.
You know, I didn't make it personal; but, you have decided to step across the line on this one.

I'm only going to say this once: If Gil Hibben, or (were he still alive) Ed Parker saw the two of us standing next to each other, both men would ignore you, walk over to me, hold out their hands, and ask how I've been. (Very true!)

My suggestion for you would be to - no matter what happens - keep your little 3.5" weapon in your pants where it, obviously, belongs; and, should the thought occur to you: You owe me an apology on this one!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:00 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
You know, I didn't make it personal; but, you have decided to step across the line on this one.

I'm only going to say this once: If Gil Hibben, or (were he still alive) Ed Parker saw the two of us standing next to each other, both men would ignore you, walk over to me, hold out their hands, and ask how I've been. (Very true!)

My suggestion for you would be to - no matter what happens - keep your little 3.5" weapon in your pants where it, obviously, belongs; and, should the thought occur to you: You owe me an apology on this one!
I apologize if you got your feelings hurt by such a small statement, there was nothing in the statement that was a personal attack. I merely stated that few people will ever use a knife to kill someone or even to defend their lives. Many of us have and will use them to skin and gut game, as well as relegate them to utility duties.

I'm not really sure how the name dropping applies to this though.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Last edited by matt g; 07-28-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #24

i carry a gerber paraframe II folder everday, along with the gerber suspension multi tool both do the jobs asked of them with no problems

Old 07-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #25

Quote:
.... I'm not really sure how the name dropping applies to this though.
Name dropping has nothing to do with it. I have a 40 year background in the martial arts with a specialty in the use of edged weapons and the short blade. I, even, wrote a book on the subject that Ed Parker and Gil Hibben thought was one of the best dissertations they’d ever read on CQB knife combat. (Too bad several publishers didn’t agree!)

One evening while I was having dinner with Gil Hibben; we started talking about how little the average American knows about knifefighting. I remarked that things couldn’t always have been this way in America because, at one time, men like Jim Bowie were common.

I said I thought it strange that most people, today, don’t even know the pros and cons of using either a hammer grip, or a sword grip on a knife handle. Gil thought for a moment and replied; ‘That’s true; but, it’s because America has always been, primarily, a gun culture.’ ‘All this interest in knives and knife fighting only started in the early 1970’s; and, the people who are coming into the knife shows and dojos, nowadays, are literally learning as they go.’

I’d have to agree that this is true! There’s only one Jim Bowie; but, there are dozens of famous American gunslingers; e.g.: Wyatt Earp, Wild Bill Hickok, Doc Holliday, Jesse James, Buffalo Bill, etc. America is, indeed, a culture that is historically fascinated with ideas about both, ‘God and guns’.

Yesterday and today, when a typical American youth thinks of a prominent man with a gun he thinks of a hero; and, when that same individual thinks of a well-known man with a knife, he thinks of a villain! On an emotional level of common perception: Good guys use guns; and, bad guys use knives.

Today, different people use EDC knives for different things. Personally I use a box cutter to open packages; I don’t want to get sticky corrosive adhesive on a good blade. About the only thing I ever cut with an EDC is string or rope. ‘Why’, then, do I carry a knife on my belt? Well, there are lots of places where you might need a weapon and a handgun would be, either, extremely dangerous or entirely inappropriate to bring into play with other people around.

Would I use a knife if I were viciously attacked while in a crowd? I really can’t say; but, I certainly wouldn’t use my gun! Would I use a knife to prevent someone from completing a successful grab on my gun? I very well might – especially since I’ve, now, had heart surgery; and, my days of prolonged grappling and superior, ‘floor techniques’ are clearly behind me.

Look, if you draw a gun and shoot someone, then, the intent is unmistakable and clearly lethal: Bullets are bullets; and we, all, understand that the only way to use a pistol in CQB is to shoot to kill. (Errr ……. Excuse me, I meant to say; ‘stop’!) However, the same thing isn’t necessarily true of using a knife. A skilled knife fighter knows how to slash his way out of, even, the most serious of physical confrontations without needing to deliberately end his opponent’s life. The option to slash or stab equates to allowing an adversary to, either, live or die; and a talented man with a knife knows how to do both.

Years ago I was attacked by a large animal right in the middle of one of the busiest streets in my hometown. I didn’t have a firearm; but, if I had, using a gun would have been entirely out of the question! The folding blade I was carrying at the time proved sufficient to keep the animal away from me; and, that was that! Had I pulled a gun, I’m sure the aftermath to this event would have been an entirely different story.

In all the years that I’ve been going to shooting ranges and matches I’ve only met one man who was, both, carrying a short blade and, also, knew how to use it. About 5 years ago I was in Pittsburgh for a match when I noticed a man carrying an unusual knife. Half kidding around with him, between relays, I asked; ‘Do you know how to use that thing?’ He replied that he’d studied with Steve Tarani. That immediately got my attention; and, I asked him if he’d give me a demonstration after the match.

He did! It was the first time I’d seen Karambit technique in action. I was duly impressed with this fellow’s level of skill, reminded of how old I was becoming, and instantly recognized the considerable prior knowledge of human anatomy that is required in order to turn a karambit into a lethal weapon. (A lot!)

Sure, I realize that most of the EDC’s carried around all day long by most people are, ‘for show only’. Folding knives rarely amount to anything more than a quiet statement of personal machismo. I, personally, know several gunmen who carry $400.00 Emerson folders that they wouldn't know how to do anything useful with except, maybe, cut a Subway sandwich in half.

I’ll close with this observation: If there is an actual benefit to America’s present fascination with CQB knives it’s has to reside in the fact that even a modest knowledge of knifefighting gives a person a workable idea of, both, what a knife can really do at close quarters as well as how to prolong – or, perhaps, even avoid – getting cut by a blade. There are definitely things you should, and shouldn’t do when confronted by a, ‘knifer’; but, this is a subject for another post.

On a personal note, I don’t hold grudges; so, as far as I’m concerned, there are no hard feelings between us. We should, both, try to keep it that way.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I much prefer a hammer grip, though most of the training I got in the army was with a sword grip. If it ever came down to it, I'm confident with my stubby little folder and the little training I have. Knife fighting just isn't a reality anymore outside a martial arts training or sparring scenario. It's nothing personal towards you, it's just an observation that has come from my experience.

Roger Waters

Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 AM   #27

Quote:
.... Knife fighting just isn't a reality anymore outside a martial arts training or sparring scenario. It's nothing personal towards you, it's just an observation that has come from my experience.
I'd like to have 10 dollars for every time I've heard that! The truth is that knife fighting is more of a reality today than ever before. It's fencing that isn't worth a damn! A knife fighter - a good knife fighter - instinctively knows better than to let a stranger get within arm's reach; AND, he knows what to do if one does. He's, also, had numerous opportunities to work on and develop his hand speed and hand/eye coordination.

A talented knife fighter tends to be a better gunman, too; and that's because he's learned not to be dismayed by close and deadly contact, and is, also, possessed of an intimate understanding about human anatomy.

The fact is that I, myself, haven't looked at an opponent as a, 'man' in more than 40 years! 'Men' have personality; they have attitude, presence, and formidability. Gunmen usually look at their opponents as other, 'men'. All I ever see is a target: It may be loud; it may be very angry; it may have attitude; but, all I ever see is a target!

I have an acquaintance who has spent 10 or 12 years working as a bouncer in different NYC clubs. He couldn't carry a weapon of any kind; but, he's already admitted to me that the training I gave him has prevented him from being successfully slashed or stuck, and allowed him to put the other guy down, hard, more times than he can remember.

Do people actually dual with knives like Jim Bowie, anymore? Of course they don't; but, knowing how to: (1) prevent or deflect a close quarter attack, (2) get an, 'ambush artist' quickly off you, or (3) rapidly tie up a knifer's weapon hand and subsequently drop him, hard, are absolutely vital CQB skills. Inside any close quarter confrontation, skill with a handgun is only about half of what you actually need to know in order to walk away from many a close quarter fight. (Which, in case you haven't noticed, are what most pistol fights are really all about!)

From my point of view, it's rather sad and all too typical for an educated and urbane adult male to see knife fighting skill as either vulgar and unnecessary, or as indicative of an unrealistic dueling mentality. These are the same guys I've previously alluded to as people who keep folding knives clipped to an outside pocket more as a visible statement of male machismo than anything else. With a real knifer you won't see the blade until the very last instant; and, when you do, it's sure to be in motion!

There has never been any doubt in my mind that I have always been a better gunman because I am also an experienced CQB knife fighter; and, the skills both carry over and are completely interchangeable. I'm done with this subject, now. You seem to be a little confused; I hope this discussion has helped you out!

Last edited by G21.45; 07-29-2008 at 03:34 AM.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #28

Quote:
SOG Twitch II here. It's little, but it deploys pretty quick and hold an edge really well. I was surprised that a little $60 knife held an edge so well.

I'd really like to get a Benchmade Infidel, but the price tag is a little out of my price range, so I think my next knife is going to be a Benchmade Nitrous Stryker.

Here is the Infidel for those unfamiliar with it:

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4c.tam?M5COPY.ctx=30192&M5.ctx=0&siteID=c9Y1x nss3*w-HIdO7URvQyCtiZAa207Nqg
Does that knife have legal issues?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
And why did you choose that brand?

My primary blade is from Mission Knives. I first got some experience with their products at the 2004 Shot Show and fell in love with this beauty. This is the Mission MPT-Ti and it fits my hand like my 1911. I love it.

The blade is a full tang titanium, which is 40% lighter than steel and will never rust or break. To be honest, it took forever to put a hair shaving edge on it with my APEX Sharpening System, but it's worth it because I have used it for over a couple of years and it still holds an edge that will share the hair off my arm.

The back of the blade is about .25" thick and narrows to a false edge towards the tip. I find the blade design well thought out and very well balanced.

The sheath has a positive retention for the blade and an additional snap for the handle itself. The drop down leg holster attaches easily to my gun belt and it has MOLLE points on the back to attach to my vest if I want to mix it up.

All in all I find this knife very versatile, well designed and very durable.

Interested in what knife you carry to the field and why.

JD
mine is a sog seal pup, the reason for my purchase, beefy blade, kydex sheath partially serrated blade and i just discovered yesterday that bear grylls uses one on the last season of his show, but above all else i respect the navy seals

Old 11-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #30

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

For field purposes, old school Buck Nighthawk. I've put drainage holes in air conditioners, used it as a chopping wedge, skinned game, used it as a tent peg, and it makes a better than average fighter.

All of this without a nick anywhere.

I'm a collector, and have a hard time with using a $300+ blade for any of the above purposes.