Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Who Makes your Primary Field Knife...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 12:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
I've had the same, 'field knife' for the past 35 years -

It's an old Randall Model #1 with a leather washer handle and duraluminum butt cap.
Is that the SOG edition? I believe they were making a replica of the Vietnam Classic for awhile. Either way, that is a nice field knife.

JD

Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 AM   #12

Actually, what you're looking at is a classic example of the Wm. Scagel pattern around which Bo Randall designed ALL of his world famous knives. That SOG thing came along decades afterwards, and is generally considered among those who know to be no more than a flattering (and cheap) imitation of the original Scagel-inspired Randall Model #1.

Over the past year I've been cleaning out my gun safe. The Randall #1, 'Fighter' in those photos went to a collector in California. He paid $600.00 and was very glad to get it. Sometimes I regret letting it go; but, I've promised myself that my wife is never going to be a, 'gunshop widow'. At this time in my life, I'm getting ready to be do a lot more letting go than picking up on anymore nice new toys.

From the reading I've done, there are two knives that - more than any others - were more often carried by elite American combat troops in Vietnam: According to Lieutenant-Colonel Anthony Herbert, the Special Forces soldiers generally carried the Randall Model #14. Among the general infantry, Gerber Mark I & II's were more common.

Toward the end of the conflict several other knife manufacturers began touting their cutlery and claiming their blades to be, 'Vietnam knives'. To a certain extent that might be true; but, only among those who could not: find, obtain, or afford a Randall-Made knife.

Last edited by G21.45; 07-26-2008 at 03:35 AM.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
All the knives you guys carry put mine to shame! I've never been able to spend much on any of my knives but I've been carrying a gerber for years and it does every job i've asked of it.

I LOVED my Gerber. It did everything from from cut rope to gut fish to cut my steak at dinner. Some muscle head bouncer relieved me of it when he caught me touching up my shave with it in the bathroom.

As of right now, I carry a MTech. It cost me $7. Well, $7.49 with tax. I've had it 6 months, use it everyday for something, and it will still shave the hairs off your arm. It's starting to get a little loose, but tighten a few screws and add a little loctite to keep 'em from backin' out, Viola! brand new again.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Matt - Can you even HAVE an out the front, double edged blade in Kali?

JD
The legalities are a little hazy. There is no law that prohibits them, but there is wording that can be used to make them illegal. It's another word of the law vs. the spirit of the law sort of thing.

The worst thing that could happen is that they'd confiscate a $400 knife.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #15

Default carry knife

I carry the CRKT M 21 all the knife you need and more!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8307 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Assorted very small pocket knives (mainly old timer, schrade, boker) and a Leatherman (steroid version) but for serious blade, have a Gerber Mk I that I have had a VERY long time.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #17

Has anybody (besides me) noticed that this thread has morphed from, 'field knives' to EDC's?

If you want to talk about EDC's, well then, I regularly carry either one of these -

CRKT #6783. (It's all the folding knife you will, ever, need!)

CRKT, 'Crawford Triumph'. A SOLID VERY FAST OPENING FOLDER!

(And, more often than not, it's perfectly legal to carry!)

Here's another picture of my EDC belt load. That's my #6783 inside one of Matt Del Fatti's beautifully made custom knife sheaths.

Last edited by G21.45; 07-27-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:39 AM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^ +1 Yeah, originally I was curious about what FIELD knives you guys carried - like on your hip or on your tac vest when you were out in the elements. Somewhere it took a left turn and became what knife do you rely on day to day? LOL These things happen.....

In any event, we are getting some good pictures and reports about some good knives - so it's not all bad.

JD

Old 07-27-2008, 05:21 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
^ +1 Yeah, originally I was curious about what FIELD knives you guys carried - like on your hip or on your tac vest when you were out in the elements. Somewhere it took a left turn and became what knife do you rely on day to day? LOL These things happen.....

In any event, we are getting some good pictures and reports about some good knives - so it's not all bad.

JD
I was brought up by my dad to believe that anything over a 3 inch blade was overkill and used only by Rambo wannabes. I take advantage of the recent technological advances, but still stick to a 3 inch folder as an everyday carry, or "field" knife.

As a side bar, the same man that taught me this, still to this day claims that his issued Gerber Mk. II was the best knife ever made.

I do also have a Navy issue Mk.3 MOD 0 that I carried on my LCE while I was in the army. It carries sentimental value. It's been thrown out of a plane more than most of the people on this forum.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 07-27-2008 at 05:31 AM.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #20

A 3.5 inch blade is actually too short to guarantee serious damage to another human being. You CAN slash effectively with it; but, unless you really understand human anatomy and, also, know what you're supposed to be doing with a short blade, it's unlikely that you'll be able to quickly debilitate an opponent by opening up an artery or collapsing the diaphragm in a single strike.

After extensive field testing, Captain Wm. E. Fairbairn stated that a 5" blade is the shortest blade, possible, that may be used in order to guarantee penetration to the heart under any and all circumstances, and from any and all angles of attack.

I'm very familiar with karambit technique. Undoubtedly, in skilled hands, a karambit is an excellent surprise edged weapon; but, if you should try to use something like that against an experienced knifefighter who's coming at you with a 5" (or longer) blade, you'll probably end up getting yourself cut to smithereens.

Here's one of the best utility/fighting knives in the world. It comes, standard, with a 7 1/2" blade that includes a sharpened top, 'false edge'.

Randall-Made Model #14 -

Last edited by G21.45; 07-27-2008 at 07:47 PM.