Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Other Weapons (
-   -   Who Makes your Primary Field Knife... (

Dillinger 05-06-2008 11:56 PM

Who Makes your Primary Field Knife...
And why did you choose that brand?

My primary blade is from Mission Knives. I first got some experience with their products at the 2004 Shot Show and fell in love with this beauty. This is the Mission MPT-Ti and it fits my hand like my 1911. I love it.

The blade is a full tang titanium, which is 40% lighter than steel and will never rust or break. To be honest, it took forever to put a hair shaving edge on it with my APEX Sharpening System, but it's worth it because I have used it for over a couple of years and it still holds an edge that will share the hair off my arm. :D

The back of the blade is about .25" thick and narrows to a false edge towards the tip. I find the blade design well thought out and very well balanced.

The sheath has a positive retention for the blade and an additional snap for the handle itself. The drop down leg holster attaches easily to my gun belt and it has MOLLE points on the back to attach to my vest if I want to mix it up.

All in all I find this knife very versatile, well designed and very durable.

Interested in what knife you carry to the field and why.

hillbilly68 05-07-2008 04:37 AM

That looks sah-weet! I tell you, for the most part knives for me are like holsters. It is so hard to find one (a fixed blade) that works all around that doesn't end up as a "back-up" in a truck emergency box or a ruck that stays stored away "just in case". I really like the Strider manufacturer, have seen and felt a lot of theirs but I can't come off the $400 or so to get a knife that I would use heavily (just shy of "abuse"). I have gone through KaBars and the other old stand-bys. My wife got me a Seal Pup (love the feel and it is the perfect blade length) but I haven't put it through the paces yet. The balance of durability, quality, affordability has yet to be found (for me). Thanks for posting this up, will be interesting to see what the team has to say.

h&k bigdaddydieseldan 05-09-2008 12:33 AM

Chris Reeve green beret one bad mf :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Dillinger 05-09-2008 12:53 AM

^ That Chris Reeve is a nice knife. I have one of his Sebenza folders that I used to carry for about a year and loved it, but it's a bit more elegant than a daily carry and it has moved to the dresser drawer in place of my Benchmade Presidio 5000 Automatic.

Definitely a nice choice there bigdaddy! *thumbs up*

dunerunner 07-25-2008 05:37 AM

SOG Team Elite. A little big but will do everything I need.

G21.45 07-25-2008 06:11 AM

:) I've had the same, 'field knife' for the past 35 years -

It's an old Randall Model #1 with a leather washer handle and duraluminum butt cap.

matt g 07-25-2008 04:53 PM

SOG Twitch II here. It's little, but it deploys pretty quick and hold an edge really well. I was surprised that a little $60 knife held an edge so well.

I'd really like to get a Benchmade Infidel, but the price tag is a little out of my price range, so I think my next knife is going to be a Benchmade Nitrous Stryker.

Here is the Infidel for those unfamiliar with it: nss3*w-HIdO7URvQyCtiZAa207Nqg

Dillinger 07-25-2008 05:05 PM

Matt - Can you even HAVE an out the front, double edged blade in Kali? :eek:

spittinfire 07-25-2008 05:17 PM

All the knives you guys carry put mine to shame! I've never been able to spend much on any of my knives but I've been carrying a gerber for years and it does every job i've asked of it. I've always had good luck with them and if anything happen to it I wasn't too upset. I've also got a S&W folding knife I carry daily, it's titanium and like dillinger said, I love long it holds an edge!

cpttango30 07-26-2008 01:40 AM

Gerber Mini Covert Black Blade

May not be big but it sure holds an edge well. Hard as heck to sharpen but once you get an edge on her she will hold it. I have always been a gerber knife fan.