What's your favorite knife brands? - Page 16
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > What's your favorite knife brands?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 92 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Anyone wanting to make their own sheath knife on a budget should look at Russell Green River blades. They are made by the oldest maker in the U.S. and are [B]very[B] high quality high carbon steel. Order some cutler rivets with the blade and make your own handles. Great afternoon project that you would never regret and won't break the bank. As far as holding an edge... I have one that has been my goto knife in the kitchen for over 5 years and has never ever seen a stone. Dress it on a steel and you are done. The camp blade makes a great hunting knife that works great for dressing, skinning and even boning deer and the like. I have made many for friends and they all love them. I don't like making sheaths so I leave that to them and only make my own. Track of the Wolf sells the blades cheap and don't let the price fool you they are top notch high quality blades.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 03-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #152

Liked 187 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck
Anyone wanting to make their own sheath knife on a budget should look at Russell Green River blades. They are made by the oldest maker in the U.S. and are very high quality high carbon steel. Order some cutler rivets with the blade and make your own handles. Great afternoon project that you would never regret and won't break the bank. As far as holding an edge... I have one that has been my goto knife in the kitchen for over 5 years and has never ever seen a stone. Dress it on a steel and you are done. The camp blade makes a great hunting knife that works great for dressing, skinning and even boning deer and the like. I have made many for friends and they all love them. I don't like making sheaths so I leave that to them and only make my own. Track of the Wolf sells the blades cheap and don't let the price fool you they are top notch high quality blades.
Is it hard to make your own? Sounds like a fun project for a weekend...

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 03-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #153
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My newest acquisition-

A Helle symfoni

Old 03-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #154

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

I love my Spartan blades.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #155

Longunner, it can be as easy or hard as you want. They are full tang blades so just need slab handles. I use a band saw to cut the slabs to the thickness I want, then trace out the profile of the tang on them and cut them to shape on a scroll saw a tad over sized. I mark the hole locations for the rivets and drill them a little under sized then use a flat bottom drill bit to do a slight countersink for the rivet heads, then use a rasp and file to cut a bevel on the blade end of the slabs. (cut a slit in a piece of tubing and tape it to the blade to protect yourself) Then rivet the slabs on the blade and use a rasp and file to remove any extra wood down to the tang. Then I use a round over bit on a router using a router table to round out the edges of the slabs, sand and then soak them in food grade mineral oil and let dry. Done. Traditionally they used birch but I have used black walnut, hickory, ash and cherry. The cherry and walnut are very nice but cherry burns really easy on the router and takes more sanding. If you don't have the power tools it can all be done with hand tools, would just take more time and skill.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #156

Liked 187 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck
Longunner, it can be as easy or hard as you want. They are full tang blades so just need slab handles. I use a band saw to cut the slabs to the thickness I want, then trace out the profile of the tang on them and cut them to shape on a scroll saw a tad over sized. I mark the hole locations for the rivets and drill them a little under sized then use a flat bottom drill bit to do a slight countersink for the rivet heads, then use a rasp and file to cut a bevel on the blade end of the slabs. (cut a slit in a piece of tubing and tape it to the blade to protect yourself) Then rivet the slabs on the blade and use a rasp and file to remove any extra wood down to the tang. Then I use a round over bit on a router using a router table to round out the edges of the slabs, sand and then soak them in food grade mineral oil and let dry. Done. Traditionally they used birch but I have used black walnut, hickory, ash and cherry. The cherry and walnut are very nice but cherry burns really easy on the router and takes more sanding. If you don't have the power tools it can all be done with hand tools, would just take more time and skill.
Do you need to do any metal work to finish them or they come already shaped and sharpened?

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #157

No metal work required and sharp enough to shave with.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #158

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Green River knives are very good for what they are. The steel is 1095, which is a decent, basic carbon steel. The blades are on the thin side, so they make good slicers and skinners, but nut suitable for heavy use.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #159
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Eickhorn. They make knives for the German Army. This is a para rescue version. I use it for protection or dispatching game when I am in the woods. Very sharp and long enough to enter the brain cavity of any large game in the German forest.

image.jpg  

Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #160
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4845 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Eickhorn. They make knives for the German Army. This is a para rescue version. I use it for protection or dispatching game when I am in the woods. Very sharp and long enough to enter the brain cavity of any large game in the German forest.
Check out the top knife here.
It's my German paratrooper Eickhorn model that I traded for with a Fallschirmjäger long ago and far away when I was exiting aircraft in flight.

NSDQ

Jagermeister Likes This