What's the deal with Gerber knives? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > What's the deal with Gerber knives?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I have a Kershaw Wild Turkey #4150 that was given to me. Made in Japan. Just started carrying it so I cant say how good it is but it looks pretty decent. I misplaced or lost my Buck so I am looking for a good USA made knife too. Anyone using CKRT?
Oh there was a whole nother thread on this. I don't like CRKT. Had one that cost about 85 bucks fall apart on me. Literally fell into pieces. Never had another one since.

When I shared this on another thread I discovered apparently there are a lot of people who have had good experiences with them and love them. I ain't one of em though.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #22

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I have a Kershaw Wild Turkey #4150 that was given to me. Made in Japan. Just started carrying it so I cant say how good it is but it looks pretty decent. I misplaced or lost my Buck so I am looking for a good USA made knife too. Anyone using CKRT?
While I will go out of my way to avoid made in China crap, Japanese products tend to be significantly better quality. I have no problem buying from them.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

on gerber's sight they got a huge pic of bear grylls... doesnt make me have any warm fuzziness if they are using that tool to market their tools. but maybe you DO need a tool to sell tools, i dunno

i like my gerber mk2 till the point snapped off. now it sits in my garage and i use it to open salt bags in the winter *sigh*

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-09-2011, 03:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
on gerber's sight they got a huge pic of bear grylls... doesnt make me have any warm fuzziness if they are using that tool to market their tools. but maybe you DO need a tool to sell tools, i dunno

i like my gerber mk2 till the point snapped off. now it sits in my garage and i use it to open salt bags in the winter *sigh*
Yeah I popped the point on mine too. Luckily the missing tip was miniscule and I was able to hone it down. That's some tough metal on that knife hone down though.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #25

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
BTW when the hell did Buck knives start getting made in China?
They arent made in china. They are made in USA and japan now. You must have got your hands on one of a very few that are made in china. Just curious but who told you they are made in china? If you have seen it what model was it?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
They arent made in china. They are made in USA and japan now. You must have got your hands on one of a very few that are made in china. Just curious but who told you they are made in china? If you have seen it what model was it?
It's my stepdad's, it was given to him by his boss when he lost his Gerber (same model I lost too) I'll holler at him and find out what model it is, all I can tell you for sure is that I saw China stamped on the blade, and it has a mossy oak pattern handle. It's a folder with a pocket clip.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:51 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Yeah I popped the point on mine too. Luckily the missing tip was miniscule and I was able to hone it down. That's some tough metal on that knife hone down though.
I just stopped mucking with the pricey combat knives and starrted using the cheap as dirt m16 bayonets from the vietnam era. Nice hard blade difficult to break holds enough edge to open boxes tires or goblins as the case may be. Lose it or break get another for a few bucks.

Ive had about 4 gerbers and a couple of coldsteel knives broke or lost em and just decided to f-it and switch to something cheaper as a utility/defense blade.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-09-2011, 04:07 AM   #28

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

It's my stepdad's, it was given to him by his boss when he lost his Gerber (same model I lost too) I'll holler at him and find out what model it is, all I can tell you for sure is that I saw China stamped on the blade, and it has a mossy oak pattern handle. It's a folder with a pocket clip.
If its the one im thinking of its one of a few and they dnt make em anymore

Old 10-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #29

Liked 1453 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 337

I saw several post about broken tips. I suspect that the knives were being used as a crowbar, something hardened steel doesn't work well for.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I saw several post about broken tips. I suspect that the knives were being used as a crowbar, something hardened steel doesn't work well for.
Not really. My gerbers got broken points just from casual use accidentally knock it against something in a hmmvw or dropped by accident in the field etc. After they broke i started using them asprybars etc. I just find the gerbers points too delicate