What's the deal with Gerber knives? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > What's the deal with Gerber knives?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I checked them out at walmart today. Yep, they're made in china.........

The Kershaw's,however, have a big Made in the USA label on the front!! I'll take the Tanto Blur!!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #12

II don't really care where a knife is made, I try to buy American, but as long the quality is their in the knife. I own a Kershaw oso sweet & a Boker Automat Kalashnikov AK-74 Auto Knife both are well made and made in Taiwan China.
Joe-R

Fast is fine but accuracy is final. You must learn to be slow in a hurry!
Wyatt Earp

Old 10-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8862 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Cannot speak to Gerber folders, nor to present day Gerber products, but I have a Gerber Mk 1 from the 60's. I do not know what it will cut and what it won't, but I do know this one can make a door in the side of a CH-47 helicopter if you REALLY need one, and are sufficently motivated.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 771

I think what you've found is common in many of the major blade manufacturers today. They have a line of higher priced blades made in the US and Europe, and a line of lower priced blades made in Asia.

Not all of the Asian blades are junk. But you'll probably find most of the blades that are junk are from Asia.

Anymore, I find the first thing I look at when checking out a new knife is the "made in" description. Unless it is something very interesting (or just a throw away), I'll skip the Chinese stuff.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #15

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Cannot speak to Gerber folders, nor to present day Gerber products, but I have a Gerber Mk 1 from the 60's. I do not know what it will cut and what it won't, but I do know this one can make a door in the side of a CH-47 helicopter if you REALLY need one, and are sufficently motivated.
I’ve the same one. It’s not much of a knife for cutting, but for putting holes in things (people & apparently helicopters) it’s bullet proof. It was left to me by a friend I once had. I use it as a letter/package opener to remind me of him.

Last edited by Vincine; 10-08-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Sadly, it seems Gerber has gone the way of many cutlery firms. They were once a very high quality cuttin', stabbin', and general get ya home alive blade. Now, they seem to be a Wal Mart quality pocket knife, good for little more than light use.

Kershaw is still a great knife, and so is CRKT, and Spyderco.

As to the asian blades...BYRD is the chinese manufactured Spyderco line, and they are ROCK solid. Try the Cara Cara (you can get 'em for $20) and they are every bit the knife the Spyderco is. A friend in the knife business gave me one to try four years ago, and I still carry it every day. It has taken a pounding like you wouldn't believe and keeps right on doing what I need it to do!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #17

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I used to have an old Mark II that I picked up in a junk store for 5 bucks. I gave it to my cousin who still has it, and is in fact toting it in Afghanistan right now. I also used to have an EZ out that I lost many moons ago, and would love to have another one.

BTW when the hell did Buck knives start getting made in China?

Old 10-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #18

Liked 1457 Times on 883 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Get a Kershaw, designed by Ken Onion, and you will be happy. You don't have to spend a fortune and you will have a great knife. I have been using my 1550ST (made in USA) for about 5 years and it is a fine blade.

I am a construction worker, and my knife has to work hard. I use it at least 10 times a day, every day.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #19

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Get a Kershaw, designed by Ken Onion, and you will be happy. You don't have to spend a fortune and you will have a great knife. I have been using my 1550ST (made in USA) for about 5 years and it is a fine blade.

I am a construction worker, and my knife has to work hard. I use it at least 10 times a day, every day.
I've got one, the tip is broken off. I just haven't taken advantage of the warranty yet. My current EDC is an old Remington 2 blade folder I inherited from my Grandfather.

If I know I'm going to be abusing a knife on a particular day, I break out the Ozark Trail Walmart special. It's a pretty tough knife believe it or not.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #20
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1982 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I have a Kershaw Wild Turkey #4150 that was given to me. Made in Japan. Just started carrying it so I cant say how good it is but it looks pretty decent. I misplaced or lost my Buck so I am looking for a good USA made knife too. Anyone using CKRT?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."