What kinda bow?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > What kinda bow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What kinda bow?

So ive akways been a fan of bows and never really thought of buying one till now.

What is a good beginner bow? (ive never once shoot a bow)

How much would i be looking at spending for a beginner bow?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2010, 05:07 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm a low-tech kinda guy, so I'd say go to a gun show, buy something without wheels for about $50. Get some arrows and shoot them into a hay bale for a while. Then think about how and if you want to upgrade. Personally, I find shooting a sightless recurve relaxing.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieDontUKnowMe View Post
So ive akways been a fan of bows and never really thought of buying one till now.

What is a good beginner bow? (ive never once shoot a bow)

How much would i be looking at spending for a beginner bow?
Is it for hunting or target shooting and was is your price range?

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:06 AM   #4

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I am a novice to bows and recently bought the Martin Threshold package from Sportsmans Guide for about $200. It is a single cam compound bow and is adjustable from 55-75lbs and 28- 31". It came with the bow, sight w/3 pins, quiver, spring away rest and 2 carbon arrows. I just got it dialed in and bought a peep, stabilizer and 6 arrows w/practice tips for another $50. For $250, I have a decent rig for a beginner.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The best thing you can do is find a a good bow shop. Not Bass Pro or something, an actual bow shop. Go in and tell them what you are looking for, what you want to do with it and what you have to spend. They can match a bow to you and your needs as well as explain some of the workings.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

People Like This 
Old 10-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #6

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
The best thing you can do is find a a good bow shop. Not Bass Pro or something, an actual bow shop. Go in and tell them what you are looking for, what you want to do with it and what you have to spend.
I did just that, and let them talk me into $800 worth of equipment (Mathews) -- and I don't hunt!!!

I would not offer what your budget is. Not up front anyway.....

I do agree on going to a real bow shop though.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Recently I bought a Martin Jaguar. ( I posted a range report if you are interetsted, there are some pics)

I would consider it to be the perfect beginner recurve. Also, with it you can get a case, 4 arrows, an arm guard and a few other things. I think it was 169 at the Sportsmans Guide.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are a beginner, you really need a best beginner compound bow. A compound bow are perfect for beginners who are starting their practice. It's easy to use and very convenient.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #9

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Compounds are awesome and they give you sights and easier pull back, and they can be customized out the wazoo. The only problem is one brand new is gonna cost you money, for me a new pearson would run me about $800. An older pearson that I can work on and get to where I need it can run me anwhere from $200-$400. But the thing about bows is if you take care of the bow and treat her right they can last years. Right now my bow is a Pearson Spoiler and my dad traded my ex's dad a self climbing tree stand for it back in middle school and he had been hunting with the bow for 6 or 7 years before I even met him and I still shoot with it. The only thing I've replaced was the cames and the string.

Depending on what bow your looking at and how much your willing to spend, your beginner bow might last you years if you take care of it and don't abuse it too badly.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8166

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
The best thing you can do is find a a good bow shop. Not Bass Pro or something, an actual bow shop. Go in and tell them what you are looking for, what you want to do with it and what you have to spend. They can match a bow to you and your needs as well as explain some of the workings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
I did just that, and let them talk me into $800 worth of equipment (Mathews) -- and I don't hunt!!!

I would not offer what your budget is. Not up front anyway.....

I do agree on going to a real bow shop though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
Recently I bought a Martin Jaguar. ( I posted a range report if you are interetsted, there are some pics)

I would consider it to be the perfect beginner recurve. Also, with it you can get a case, 4 arrows, an arm guard and a few other things. I think it was 169 at the Sportsmans Guide.
I love martin's Jaguar. I'm just pizzed about the fact that it is listed as RH only in every catalog I have seen it in. Sometimes it sucks being a lefty.

There are ups and downs to going to a pro shop, but I will lay the biggest pro on you now. They will have a better selection, and they know what they are doing. If you go to a BBS, or a gun show, you don't know what you are buying, and you don't know how the last owner used or abused it. Generally, if what you want is not in stock, it can be ordered and set up for you. Also, don't turn your nose up at a good used bow at said shop, the shop pros go over every trade in, and most can be picked up for a reasonable price.

I can not recommend a first bow for you myself, mainly because I have never seen you before, and have no idea what your height, eye and hand dominance, and price range are. Check out your local shops. Not only will they be glad to help you, the will be thankful for your business. Hope this helps.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 04-03-2013 at 06:53 AM.