Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   what to get for a beginner in archery (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/what-get-beginner-archery-69487/)

rem870forever 08-02-2012 09:58 PM

what to get for a beginner in archery

I just turned 14 and have $300 and wanted to buy a crossbow, but i have no expierence with them. First of all, would i be able to pull back 125 and 150lb crossbows. And if i can handle the draw weight should i get a horton scout 125 or a barnett jackal 150. remember im a beginner

Badshot320 08-03-2012 12:50 AM

My father has a Barnett Jackal, pretty hard for me to draw by hand but easy with the cocking aid. It shoots well but noisy IMO. I have no experience with any other crossbows, so I cant give you a comparison.

Badshot

fupuk 08-03-2012 01:43 AM

Im not an archer by any means. But why do you want to start with a crossbow? Why not start with a recurve and work your way up. I dont know your history with bows, but the same thing with my eight year old son and his 10/22. He wants to get a powerfull scope so he doesnt have to do the work on aiming. I want him to get the fundementals of shooting first. And that means starting as basic as you can and work up from there. Hope this helps, sorry to drag this post out.

downsouth 08-03-2012 01:52 AM

I would agree with a traditional bow.
Figure out if you are right eye dominate or left.

Find an anchor point. (mine is my little finger on the corner of my mouth) example.

Get used to a sight picture looking down the arrow.

When you have success, remember what you did and repeat.

Good luck, be safe, have fun !

rem870forever 08-03-2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badshot320 (Post 891107)
My father has a Barnett Jackal, pretty hard for me to draw by hand but easy with the cocking aid. It shoots well but noisy IMO. I have no experience with any other crossbows, so I cant give you a comparison.

Badshot

well how old r u cuz im 14 and hoping i can pull it back

rem870forever 08-03-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fupuk (Post 891188)
Im not an archer by any means. But why do you want to start with a crossbow? Why not start with a recurve and work your way up. I dont know your history with bows, but the same thing with my eight year old son and his 10/22. He wants to get a powerfull scope so he doesnt have to do the work on aiming. I want him to get the fundementals of shooting first. And that means starting as basic as you can and work up from there. Hope this helps, sorry to drag this post out.

i used to have a 50lb compound bow but never touched a crossbow

rem870forever 08-03-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badshot320 (Post 891107)

Badshot

well how old r u cuz im 14 and wondering if i can pull back 150

Badshot320 08-13-2012 06:50 PM

Sorry for the late reply, im 41. My arms/back can cock it, just my fingers cant take it.

Badshot

Nickwashere 08-20-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rem870forever

well how old r u cuz im 14 and wondering if i can pull back 150

You can cock it with practice and a cock assist if you have average strength.. Practice is key for muscle memories makes hard task easy