What Do You Guys Know About Steel? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > What Do You Guys Know About Steel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
For a good basic knife, it's hard to beat 1095 (carbon) or 440C (make sure it says 440 C, not just "440") stainless.

However, Buck does get very good results it's heat treatment of 420.

KA BAR makes . . . or used to, I haven't checked lately, very reasonably priced knives out of D2 in their "High Impact" knives.

Another good D2 bargain -- Queen. Not all their knives are made out of D2, so check them out carefully before buying.

What's your price range?
I'm willing to spend a few hundred dollars in the future if it's worth it, so I am doing some research now so I know whether a cheap knife can be as good as an expensive one under the right circumstance. Right now I have a Benchmade camp survival knife, 1095 carbon, 6" blade, rubber handle and leather sheath and it's pretty good, it's blade is just a bit straighter than what I want and it's kind of ugly, I really want something in stainless if it's possible to get stainless that's tough yet flexible enough not to chip.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #12

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I'm willing to spend a few hundred dollars in the future if it's worth it, so I am doing some research now so I know whether a cheap knife can be as good as an expensive one under the right circumstance. Right now I have a Benchmade camp survival knife, 1095 carbon, 6" blade, rubber handle and leather sheath and it's pretty good, it's blade is just a bit straighter than what I want and it's kind of ugly, I really want something in stainless if it's possible to get stainless that's tough yet flexible enough not to chip.
Check out Bark River Knives for one that will last you a lifetime.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #13

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Check out Bark River Knives for one that will last you a lifetime.
I'm checking them out now, definitely diggin that they are made in Michigan where I am from.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 08-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1884 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I been looking at buying a good quality hunting knife, one that will last a lifetime, but I see so many steels to choose from and I have no clue what they all mean, like aus8, san maii 3, 4116 stainless and about 3 dozen others I have heard of, what is a good steel that is really hard yet won't break, something that could literally be shot with a 45 and cut the bullet in half with type of steel?
I have 2 yard knives I made from hardend hack saw blades that came from saws in a machine shop. They are hardened half way thru. carbon steel..........As long as you dont try to bend the crap out of them they will last a life time, mine or close to 30 years old...............One knife has fillet over a thousand pounds of catfish, It stays sharp, and holds an edge..............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 08-18-2013, 04:07 AM   #15

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

I know my answer will not gain my any popularity with possum but 14c28n sandvik steel has treated me very very well and is a cost effective stainless. Kershaw uses it in a number of their production blades and my experience with it has shown it to take and really hold a fine edge and is fairly corrosion resistant compared to many other steels in its price range. It is primarily used for overseas production though and I know that turns some dudes off...