What is the best survival steel - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > What is the best survival steel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Buy yourself a couple of Mora's for under 20.00' they are a hidden jewel. They are easy to sharpen (scandi-grind) and hold a wicked edge well. They are higher on the carbon side of the blend so the blades will stain, and require attention after each use to prevent rusting. Amazon is where I buy mine.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
Cold Steel uses 1055 carbon for its line of machetes. I'm not familiar with it. Anyone have some info about 1055 carbon? ... or info of another machete with superior steel to that?
Less carbon content . Good steel for blades like a machete because it will be less prone to break and is much more flexible.

My ontario machete is a slab of 1095 high carbon. Which in a thinner blade like traditionally found on machetes is not the best because a thin flexible blade made out of a hard I tink 56-59 carbon steel is prone to breaking. HOWEVER ontario machete is .250 thick. So the extra thickness compensates for the high carbon content.

When I first got my ontario my first impression was it felt like more of a MASSIVE fixed blade knife rather than a machete

Hope this helps

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin