What is the best survival steel - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

What is the best survival steel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I think I'm in love lol

Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19

It all boils down to personal preference and style. I like CS better for the style of knife (looks). For instance, you are a Glock guy while I am a M&P guy. The guns are mechanically similar, but I like the style of the M&P better.

As far as them saying they are best, most manufacturers of everything make that claim. Glock does, Les Baer does, Daniel Defense does it, etc...
Your right about that. I just seen a lot of my friends and trainees jump on the CS train as where I didn't like them as much. I try to never let personal preference get in the way of facts. The truth I it is I have no idea what the best blade is and the way the economy is I can't afford to buy a blade for test purposes only

Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #23

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical View Post
I think I'm in love lol
The guy I bought mine off of has more of the factory seconds on ebay but he has bumped the price up a few bucks I think they are $65 with shipping now. Still a bargain

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #24

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical

Your right about that. I just seen a lot of my friends and trainees jump on the CS train as where I didn't like them as much. I try to never let personal preference get in the way of facts. The truth I it is I have no idea what the best blade is and the way the economy is I can't afford to buy a blade for test purposes only
I'm not gonna pressure you into buying ColdSteel. They had exactly what I wanted and I'm in love with the Voyager. It's awesome!! Honestly I've been collecting knives for 16 years and I haven't found a "best". There is just too much out there.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19

I'm not gonna pressure you into buying ColdSteel. They had exactly what I wanted and I'm in love with the Voyager. It's awesome!! Honestly I've been collecting knives for 16 years and I haven't found a "best". There is just too much out there.
And I know that's not your intention sir. The point I was making is I try or at least tried to field test and destroy knives in the past when I could buy them cheap but now it's to high dollar. And that I am always the one guy out of my friends to try new brands and designs. I know we all have our favorites and so do I. I wish there was a definite answer lol. I wish someone could just say here man this on is the best

Old 05-31-2013, 02:24 AM   #26

Liked 1148 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical View Post
Survival in this context is referring to non EDC as I already the best IMO knife for that job. I mean out in the wild, wet, dry, hot, cold, hardwood or soft wood around you. I am asking about the knife that is most likely to never fail in any environment and be used for chopping or splitting ad well as hunting and fishing or even as a pry bar if must be no want to be able to beat the crap out of a knife and not worry about snapping it as well
As has been stated, every thing is a compromise. I subscribe to the Nesmuk trio school of thought -- that in the outdoors one should carry a smaller knife --eg. a folder; a medium knife, such as one with a 4-5 inch blade; and a chopper -- I preferr a hatchet to batoning a knife through tree limbs or larger pieces of wood. I usually take along a strong, lock back folder, such as a Buck 110, a swiss army knife, a sheath knife (currently a Bark River North Star), and a vintage Plumb hatchet.

In a pinch I would carry the folding knife and something like my Swamp Rat Camp Tramp, a hard use knife with a 7" blade. The Becker RD -7 would be a more economical equalivanent.

Last edited by txpossum; 05-31-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #27

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

5160 is fine for my 1/4" thick 9-1/2" bladed OKC Ranger BECAUSE it is basically a modern short-sword that lives in my BOB. A folder for a survival knife is not big and tough enough but the harder steels are fine for a folder because they aren't expected to be applied roughly as they won't survive serious labor anyway. Those harder steels also would not survive well in the hacking, prybar, role.

The right tool for the right job! When you are talking a survival knife you mean all purpose, fixed blade, and intermediate to long length. People here seem to keep focusing on boutique steels that are limited by manufacturers to smaller-than-survival knives for a good reason. So, get the hardest popular steel you can find in a 7" long, thick and wide, fixed bladed knife.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:12 AM   #28

This is the question people as me a lot when it comes to survival prep and what to put in a day pack. I love hearing everyone's thoughts as it gives me better info as therefore better answers. I usually tell my friends who ask me about a general survival knife to buy a Ka-Bar or something in a softer steel that will be easy to sharpen in a pinch and take the abuse of prying or digging a lot batoning. I keep my multi tool with me so it takes a lot of stress of my SK or survival knife of you will. I love to have that mini saw and pliers. I always look Into the knives you guys list and have found more than a few to be suitable. Thank you and if you have any other suggestions let me know

Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #29

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Although I generally prefer carbon steels over stainless, if it were a SHTF situation I where I couldn't do proper maintainence on a knife, I would prefer the 440C stainless (but could certainly live with 1095). For me, 420HC is a little soft, but Buck does get a heck of performance out of it with their heat treatment. Never used a knife out of 425M that I know of, so no personal experience. I prefer 440C over 440B, but that is what Randal used to make their stainless blades out of (don't know if they still do) and suspicion was that 440B was what Cold Steel used to make their 400 series steel used in knives like the Outdoorsman, Mini-Tanto, etc. out of. When doing rough chores outside my usual "beater knife" is a CKRT Prowler made of AUS 6. I find that the steel is too soft to hold an edge very long, but it is a snap to sharpen with just a pocket whetstone.
I like possum's thinking here.
440 Stainless is an excellent steel which resists deterioration that you might expect with bad conditions under SHTF.
I don't what what the OP meant by "a lot of research", but if he would like to make a good decision, a real study of steel and steel chemical compositons would not be too tough with today's internet and will result in a pretty sound method of making a good judgement call on steels.
E.g. carbon added to iron gives steel - and higher carbon content provides a very fine sharpening ability. Unforunatly, brittleness suffers with increasing carbon content.
Typical car bodies are built with 1020 steel - meaning 0.20% carbon along with a percent of manganese.

The SAE categorizes all the steels and a person can learn the characteristics of each additive and make an informed decision. This without relying on opinion, conjecture, wishful thinking, misinformation of others.
The company Cold Rolled? Who knows what steel they actually used - and at what time in their history they used any particular steel. "Cold rolled" is actually a steel industry term for a certain type of forming prossess for certain steels- it results in certain properties over and above the basic chemical properties - as most 1020 steel is cold rolled - but so are very many others forming processes. So it was a cute name to name a knife company. Most people didn't understand and it didn't really mean much - unless they declared that all their steels were cold rolled formed rather than something else - like annealed.

For easy - again possum's 440 stainless is excellent. You should realize that in general stainless steels (chromium additive steel family) do not sharpen quite as well as a carbon steel. But the other attributes of both must be considered - and what you want the metal to do or live through. A plain 1020 may sharpen well (or 1030, or ... ) but it will rust and with the higher content carbon the edge will suffer cracks and breakage due to increased brittleness. It's all a trade-off.

Just my thoughts.
Kind of... do it yourself. Then you know.

Last edited by Colby; 05-31-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

In a survival situation I absolutely require that my knife double as a striker. I would avoid stainless.