What is the best survival steel - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > What is the best survival steel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

What about vg-10? I'm a big fan of the spyderco assist. I dont know a whole lot about all the types of steel listed above but I've used and abused my assist. The vg-10 blade came razor sharp, holds a great edge, sharpens well, and can take a beating without deforming.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #12

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum

Didn't mean to be rude, but CS is one of those companies that, to me, sold out. I used to be a big fan, had umpteen of their knives (Original Carbon V Trailmaster, Recon Tanto, SRK, Mini-Tanto, Mini-Outdoorsman (2), Outdoorsman (3), Mini-California Drop Point, Defender (2), Original Hai Hancho (2) (the later ones had much crapier serrations), the San Mai folders in various sizes (5), Original Tanto (2), Tru Flight Thrower --these are the ones that come to mind offhand). Then they started changing their steels, changing their designs, and, imo, their production quality went way down. I class them with Gerber, a company that used to make some of the best knives around, then for some reason decided to mass market with cheaper products.

Didn't mean it personal, the company just irritates me.
I understand your reasoning. No offense taken. However, they still make a solid knife and a good-superior product. They defiantly didn't go down like Gerber did.

OP if you want a strong folder that is razor sharp, and sharpens easy look up the Voyager from CS. One of my favorite knives ever. As a matter of fact I've never had to sharpen one, only ever stropped the blade on a leather belt. Still shaves to this day.

I do urge people to watch their YT videos.

Last edited by kryptar19; 05-30-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #13

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I bought a OKC RD6 , Its made of 5160. just a hair over 1/4" thick blade so there isnt much worries of breaking it . Seems to hold a good edge and came sharp enough from the factory to shave with . Its a bit bigger than I like in a knife and I kinda expected it to be a bit smaller than it was when I actually opened the box , Kinda cheap cheesy factory sheath but it works and the price was right . It was a factory 2nd because the scales were of 1/64 " off which unless you get the mic out you would never know other than it has the 2 stamped lightly on the micarta scales. I think I paid $58 shipped to my door for it .
I have never owned a knife made of 5160 , I know heat treating this steel is the key to having a excellent knife . Hows it hold up to some of the other spring steels out there
Do you happen to have a picture sir

Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19

I understand your reasoning. No offense taken. However, they still make a solid knife and a good-superior product. They defiantly didn't go down like Gerber did.

OP if you want a strong folder that is razor sharp, and sharpens easy look up the Voyager from CS. One of my favorite knives ever. As a matter of fact I've never had to sharpen one, only ever stropped the blade on a leather belt. Still shaves to this day.

I do urge people to watch their YT videos.
I have a question. I am not trying to start crap but I want to know your honest opinion here. If almost all the CS knives I look at on their website which claims they have the strongest and sharpest knives in the world use AUS-8 and my Ka-Bar uses AUS-8A which would be more likely to be the better knife. I know how it is when someone questions your favorite brand as I am a GLOCK guy all the way and I see its quality where other think they see plastic. But it's a legit question I have wondered since I looked it up. I do not like the tempering process answer as both brands are tried and tested. So the second part of the question is... If the new CS knives mainly use AUS-8 steel how can they be considered the strongest or above other companies using a better version of that same steel

Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychosam
What about vg-10? I'm a big fan of the spyderco assist. I dont know a whole lot about all the types of steel listed above but I've used and abused my assist. The vg-10 blade came razor sharp, holds a great edge, sharpens well, and can take a beating without deforming.
I have heard that from Bill (My knife guy at Bass Pro Shops) all the time. He swears by VG-10 and is always trying to get me to get a new spyderco. I love spyderco above a lot of others and I know that even the 8cr13mov steel they use in my persistence is amazing. I used a lava rock to beat the blade into a piece of wood for a test and barely did any damage to the blade. I wonder about the corrosion resistance tho

Old 05-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
"Survival" isn't definitive. Do you mean surviving in the wilderness or out on the street? In the boonies where I live, your better off with a Machete than a Kbar but you look out of place with one hanging out of your pocket at School or work. I like lots of "steels", from Samurai's, Claymore, bayonets to broadswords and most everything in between.

Both Mom and Dad Were Fencers in Syracuse University in the early 50's, lots of sharps in our house! Each having their place and use, I even have a 18 century Damascus midget African sword with some really nasty dull 1/2" serrations, total about 14" long, that would hurt-ya cut-cha ouch, WIDE, DEEP and badly!!!! Oddly enough, the one thats been getting the most usage is my little Leatherman multi-tool, less than 2" long folded had 1/2" wide, tiny but sharp!
Survival in this context is referring to non EDC as I already the best IMO knife for that job. I mean out in the wild, wet, dry, hot, cold, hardwood or soft wood around you. I am asking about the knife that is most likely to never fail in any environment and be used for chopping or splitting ad well as hunting and fishing or even as a pry bar if must be no want to be able to beat the crap out of a knife and not worry about snapping it as well

Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatactical View Post
i am beating my head against the wall here guys and gals. I have spent a lot of evenings researching different steel types. So i am turning it over to y'all. Is it 1095 or d2 how about vg10 or many other kinds of steel. There are so many. This is what i want in a knife... Rust resistance, good at taking a beating, keeps a good edge, easy to sharpen, and won't snap or break easily
r3030

Last edited by johnr1943; 05-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical

I have a question. I am not trying to start crap but I want to know your honest opinion here. If almost all the CS knives I look at on their website which claims they have the strongest and sharpest knives in the world use AUS-8 and my Ka-Bar uses AUS-8A which would be more likely to be the better knife. I know how it is when someone questions your favorite brand as I am a GLOCK guy all the way and I see its quality where other think they see plastic. But it's a legit question I have wondered since I looked it up. I do not like the tempering process answer as both brands are tried and tested. So the second part of the question is... If the new CS knives mainly use AUS-8 steel how can they be considered the strongest or above other companies using a better version of that same steel
It all boils down to personal preference and style. I like CS better for the style of knife (looks). For instance, you are a Glock guy while I am a M&P guy. The guns are mechanically similar, but I like the style of the M&P better.

As far as them saying they are best, most manufacturers of everything make that claim. Glock does, Les Baer does, Daniel Defense does it, etc...

Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #19

Also, the triad locking system makes a big difference for me.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #20

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical View Post
Do you happen to have a picture sir

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens