Wasp Spray - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Wasp Spray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Did you guys read the article? It is used as self defense for robberies. If someone has a gun or knife, I rather be judged then dead. This is a good alternative in gun free zones. This was recommended by local law enforcement. You are absolutely right on checking with local laws in regards to self defense. I always do when traveling abroad/TDY.
Yes, I did read the article, but remember, you are in the same room with the spray. Sure, it does shoot a good portion of it's output in a thin stream, but there are two things to consider. That thin stream has a mist surrounding it, and the stream is not going to hit your attacker and stick. You are exposing yourself to the same poison you are using on your attacker. Get out, do it now, and decontaminate!

Other than that, I am fairly confident that self defense laws would apply here in Florida.
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 09-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Careful, when folks agree with me, I wonder if I am dreaming? Lol
I'm really sorry, but last night was the night, so I'm really agreeable this morning. <grin>
People Like This 
Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #13

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

I see a couple of problems with the wasp spray for defense. First of all, the only spray I have seen comes in quart cans; not something easy to carry around. Secondly, it is a federal crime to use pesticides outside of their labeled instructions. It is probably a violation of international laws as well......chemical warfare?

When the subject of the spray recovers he is going to sue the pants off of you and win. He will end up the victim and you the perp.

If you are going to break Federal laws for self protection, for heaven's sake, use a gun. With proper use of the gun, at least he won't sue you.

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 09-22-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3864 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I see a couple of problems with the wasp spray for defense. First of all, the only spray I have seen comes in quart cans; not something easy to carry around. Secondly, it is a federal crime to use pesticides outside of their labeled instructions. It is probably a violation of international laws as well......chemical warfare?

When the subject of the spray recovers he is going to sue the pants off of you and win. He will end up the victim and you the perp.

If you are going to break Federal laws for self protection, for heaven's sake, use a gun. With proper use of the gun, at least he won't sue you.
Please refer to my earlier post:

"It is used as self defense for robberies. If someone has a gun or knife, I rather be judged then dead. This is a good alternative in GUN FREE ZONES. This was recommended by local law enforcement. You are absolutely right on checking with local laws in regards to self defense. I always do when traveling abroad/TDY."

How are you going to use a gun in a gun free zone? That will get you arrested.

No one was recommending to carry it around. Some people who work in dangerous areas keep this on a desk if in gun free zones. It sprays much further then pepper spray. Also, as stated earlier, check with local law. Must be a good alternative when law enforcement/Sheriff's office is recommending it for self defense.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #15

Liked 188 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 194

This is great information...not that anyone would carry a can of wasp spray...but I have cans of the stuff in my home and at work. Given that violence is unpredictable and random, the likelihood of a person being caught off guard is high so this kind of information is useful to anyone interested in another means of self-defense.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Please refer to my earlier post:

"It is used as self defense for robberies. If someone has a gun or knife, I rather be judged then dead. This is a good alternative in GUN FREE ZONES. This was recommended by local law enforcement. You are absolutely right on checking with local laws in regards to self defense. I always do when traveling abroad/TDY."

How are you going to use a gun in a gun free zone? That will get you arrested.

No one was recommending to carry it around. Some people who work in dangerous areas keep this on a desk if in gun free zones. It sprays much further then pepper spray. Also, as stated earlier, check with local law. Must be a good alternative when law enforcement/Sheriff's office is recommending it for self defense.
Yes, I understood and understand your post. My point is this; if you are going to break the law to defend yourself, do it with the most efficient weapon available. Your cell will not be softer because you used an illegal chemical rather than an illegal gun. Never bring wasp spray to a gun battle.

Carl Sagan
People Like This 
Old 09-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3864 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Yes, I understood and understand your post. My point is this; if you are going to break the law to defend yourself, do it with the most efficient weapon available. Your cell will not be softer because you used an illegal chemical rather than an illegal gun. Never bring wasp spray to a gun battle.
Sorry my friend, I feel we will be going in circles on this issue.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
If I found myself in a self defense situation I would use the wasp spray. Being a smoker I would probably enhance the stream with my lighter. You can try me later, but for now all I want to do is live.
Of course, if you life was in imminent danger you use what ever is at hand to defend yourself. That is entirely different from intentionally arming yourself with a particular weapon, which I believe was the intent of the OP.

I realize that my argument may have been a bit subtle for some here, but I believe you knew what I meant.

Carl Sagan
People Like This 
Old 09-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Of course, if you life was in imminent danger you use what ever is at hand to defend yourself. That is entirely different from intentionally arming yourself with a particular weapon, which I believe was the intent of the OP.

I realize that my argument may have been a bit subtle for some here, but I believe you knew what I meant.
I understood what you meant, but I got the impression you might have missed the reason behind the wasp spray. The wasp spray was a benign looking substitute that could be kept in plain sight. For those times when nothing else is available or appropriate at your workplace, it's not a bad alternative.

As a side note, I armed myself with two less than ideal self defense weapons when I was still working. Florida law kept me from carrying what I was qualified to carry, so I carried what I could get away with. Both of these weapons were in plain sight on my person at all times, and neither one of them would even draw a second glance.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #20

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Most manufactures of this product issue a warning on the label. Not to be used as self defense against humans. The EPA warnings are very clear do not use for self defense. The largest buyer of this product is the U.S. Border Patrol. They have strict warnings to never use this for self defense. The point here is you will likely end up with a civil law suite risking every thing you own. Just shoot them dead crooks can not testify in court.