Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Utilitac 2 reviews??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Default Utilitac 2 reviews??

I traded my SOG flash 2 for a Ontario utilitac2. Does anyone know about these or own one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

They are produced by Ontario Igbo remember correctly. Very similar features to their RAT1... they were a Joe pardue design by recollection. They look sweet. Some were made in AUS8 and some in 440 I believe... I have a RAT1 and am happy with it so I would assume they are good blades... can be had cheap on flee bay...

Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator
They are produced by Ontario Igbo remember correctly. Very similar features to their RAT1... they were a Joe pardue design by recollection. They look sweet. Some were made in AUS8 and some in 440 I believe... I have a RAT1 and am happy with it so I would assume they are good blades... can be had cheap on flee bay...
Man this knife is great quality for the price. I am an Ontario lover now for sure

Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #4

Liked 257 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 362

lurv lurv LURV my utilitac 2 . brass washers making opening it effortless. AUS8A is decent steel some say in between 440c and 440a holds a edge better than 440c easier to put a blade on than 440A ( although I cant get a decent edge on carbon steel blade but thats my lack of ability )

I dig the size and thickness of the trail point blade and Imho looks better than the tanto ,

Also its a heavy knife but I like that in a utility blade.

I think youll like it alot. I put a 550 paracord knife lanyard on it to make it easier to pull out of my pocket plus I am of the school of thought you can never have too much paracord on your person .

BTW if you can find a sharpener that can put a nice blade on it let me know please . I used a smith pocket pal with diamond steel and it sucks . the blade is way too thick for it to work.

20130717_181637.jpg  

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Gh0zt36; 07-17-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36
lurv lurv LURV my utilitac 2 . brass washers making opening it effortless. AUS8A is decent steel some say in between 440c and 440a holds a edge better than 440c easier to put a blade on than 440A ( although I cant get a decent edge on carbon steel blade but thats my lack of ability )

I dig the size and thickness of the trail point blade and Imho looks better than the tanto ,

Also its a heavy knife but I like that in a utility blade.

I think youll like it alot. I put a 550 paracord knife lanyard on it to make it easier to pull out of my pocket plus I am of the school of thought you can never have too much paracord on your person .

BTW if you can find a sharpener that can put a nice blade on it let me know please . I used a smith pocket pal with diamond steel and it sucks . the blade is way too thick for it to work.
Man what a nice knife! That's going to have to be my next one after the RAT 1. I use a regular ole stone on all my knives. I don't use any pull through sharpeners. I like sitting there in the evening when the kids are asleep and relaxing to the sound of blade on stone lol. I a have become pretty good at it but I'm no pro yet. I find a simple knife and a simple man needs a simple stone
Old 07-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #6

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

From http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml

440 A - 440 B - 440C

The carbon content (and hardenability) of this stainless steel goes up in order from A (.75%) to B (.9%) to C (1.2%). 440C is an excellent, high-end stainless steel, usually hardened to around 56-58 Rc, very tough and with good edge-holding at that hardness. 440C was the king of stainless cutlery steels in the 1980s, before ATS-34 took the title in the 1990s. All three resist rust well, with 440A being the most rust resistant, and 440C the least. The SOG Seal 2000 is 440A, and Randall uses 440B for their stainless knives. 440C is fairly ubiquitous, and is generally considered a very good general-use stainless, tougher and more stain resistant than ATS-34 but with less edge-holding and weaker. If your knife is marked with just "440", it is probably the less expensive 440A; if a manufacturer had used the more expensive 440C, he'd want to advertise that. The general feeling is that 440A (and similar steels, see below) is just good enough for everyday use, especially with a good heat treat (we've heard good reports on the heat treat of SOG's 440A blades, don't know who does the work for them). 440-B is a very solid performer and 440-C is excellent

AUS-6
-
AUS-8
-
AUS-10
(aka 6A 8A 10A)
Japanese stainless steels, roughly comparable in carbon content to 440A (AUS-6, .65% carbon) and 440B (AUS-8, .75% carbon) and 440C (AUS-10, 1.1% carbon). AUS-6 is used by Al Mar, and is a competitor to low-end steels like 420J2. Cold Steel's use of AUS-8 has made it pretty popular, as heat treated by CS it won't hold an edge like ATS-34, but is a bit softer (and therefore weaker) and tougher. 8A is a competitor of middle-tier steels like ATS-55 and Gin-1. AUS-10 has roughly the same carbon content as 440C but with slightly less chromium, so it should be a bit less rust resistant but perhaps a bit tougher than 440C. It competes with higher-end steels, like ATS-34 and above. All 3 steels have some vanadium added (which the 440 series lacks), which will improve wear resistance and refines the grain for both good toughness, and the ability to sharpen to a very keen edge. Many people have reported that they are able to get knives using steels that include vanadium, like 8A, sharper than they can get non-vanadium steels like ATS-34.