Two Cold Steel Recon Scouts
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Two Cold Steel Recon Scouts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Two Cold Steel Recon Scouts

Many years ago I took the "Cold Steel" challenge. Until then I used Randalls and Dawsons.

But I never liked the finger groove handles of the Randalls, and they had not yet introduced the Border Patrol Handle. The Cold Steel knives were great, but I also hated the rubber handles. So one day I stripped off the rubber grip from a CS knife to see what it would tak to re-handle them.

Here are a couple of the results. These are Carbon V Recon Scouts.

The top one with the wood handle is done with a single piece of CA Desert Ironwood. It was a large block, certified cut 100 years ago. It was mounted by drilling two holes, side by side, from the end and then filing the two into a rectangular hole. The epoxy was mixed with crushed meteor and 100 Million year old fossilized dinosaur bone, for the coolness factor. My friend drilled the holes and mixed the epoxy, then affixed the block of Ironwood. I shaped the handle using rasps and files, finishing with 1000 grit wet dry paper. I just copied the style of the Randall Border Patrol Handle. Lanyard hole is brass tubing.

Next is one of the CS Desert Storm sterile Recon Scouts (no markings), done with tan Canvas Micarta. I used a router to inlet the Micarta, and a drill press to drill the holes for the brass pins. A 1/8" thick black linen Micarta spacer is at the front near the cross guard, and the same stock was used for the end cap. Lanyard hole is red linen Micarta tubing.

I stripped off the black teflon coating from the blades, and blued them. The teflon "gunks up" after a while, impeding the cutting ability.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sweet! Nice workmanship.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 AM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
The epoxy was mixed with crushed meteor and 100 Million year old fossilized dinosaur bone, for the coolness factor.
THAT is undoubtably and infinitely cool

Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #4

Here are some more. The little one is a laminated Japanese knife made by a 15th generation Japanese swordmaker. Shoji Kitamura. I put the handles on that from a left over piece of heart wood that I had in the box of spares, and made the sheath. The sheath was my first attempt since I was a kid. Tandy had all the stuff and tools.

The top one is one of the CS Mountain Man series with Red Linen Micarta.
Below that is my well used Master Hunter with Black Linen Micarta. Carried and used for many years.
Below that is one of the Carbon V cheapies, redone with Ebony and designed to look primitive.

All together now.

Carbon V SRK with Black paper Micarta done with the primitive look, and a red linen lanyard hole. Pin is brass.

Carbon V SRK with Green Canvas Micarta and brass pins. No lanyard hole, but I think I'll add one.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-21-2011, 02:57 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Damn fine looking knives you have there.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
THAT is undoubtably and infinitely cool
No kidding, Huh?

My friend Craig, who died last Feb, wanted it to be one of a kind. He had found the meteor as a kid in the desert. Chose to use it on my knife as an ode to Jim Bowie, who is reported to have had a knife made from a meteor. He bought the dino fossil specifically to use for a knife build, but never did. So he used it for my knife. I was honored. I have not finished off the very end of the handle, as I have a couple of small pieces of elephant ivory and have though about putting an ivory cap on the end. So i have left it flat, and unfinished.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 02-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
No kidding, Huh?

My friend Craig, who died last Feb, wanted it to be one of a kind. He had found the meteor as a kid in the desert. Chose to use it on my knife as an ode to Jim Bowie, who is reported to have had a knife made from a meteor. He bought the dino fossil specifically to use for a knife build, but never did. So he used it for my knife. I was honored. I have not finished off the very end of the handle, as I have a couple of small pieces of elephant ivory and have though about putting an ivory cap on the end. So i have left it flat, and unfinished.
What a beautiful story behind a beautiful knife.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
What a beautiful story behind a beautiful knife.
You have no idea. He was truly an amazing man, and as good a friend as anyone could ever have.

I have his NM M1A and Jim Hoag Series 70 Gov't Model. I bought the M1A back from the guy he had sold it to many years ago when he was diagnosed with his cancer. I got the Colt from Craig. I'll never sell them.

His son is now a student of mine, and has his dad's Glock 17 which he runs like a madman. One of these days I'll give him his dad's M1A, and maybe the knife.

The world was a better place just because Craig was in it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You're a good man Rock.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Very nice workmanship! You have talent!

People get the government they deserve.