Trying Something Different-Crossbow
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Trying Something Different-Crossbow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Default Trying Something Different-Crossbow

I've hunted with guns most of my life,and when I was younger I shot a little archery with a long bow but never hunted with any type of archery.

Last year I was going to get a compound bow,but when I went and tried out a few,the joints in my arms and shoulders just didn't agree with my brain.
I hurt for days,from old racing injuries.So I decided not to get a bow.

I started looking at Crossbows,we can hunt with them here in Texas now.I shopped around,and tried out several different brands and styles.
Most conventional/compound crossbows are very front end heavy,and feel awkward when shouldered to me.

Then I found this one-The Horton Vision 175

It looks strange with the reversed limbs,but it feels like a rifle when shouldered.The weight is more centered,it doesn't feel like your holding a boat anchor up to your shoulder.
With 175lb pull weight,this thing shoots a 20" bolt around 325fps.Pretty fast for a crossbow.
It uses a metal sled with a rope,that fits on top of the rail to cock the string.It is easy to use.
The scope also came with the crossbow,it's a 4x illuminated green/red with ballistic lines.From the ranges that I have fired the bow,the lines in the scope are callibrated pretty close.It is dead on at 20,30,and 40yrds,I haven't had time to try it at farther distances.
It is also very quiet when fired,some of the other crossbows that I shot were very loud,and others made metallic sounds when fired.

I'm hoping to take it deer hunting this fall.If I can afford gas to get to the deer lease.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That is one sexy & evil looking Zombie Zapper. I have always wanted a crossbow, I have just never got to the point where everything else was satisfied and I could justify it.

Serious case of envy over here.

JD

Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #3

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

That is too cool. I have wanted one for awhile also. You said that is pretty fast for a crossbow. How many fps is required to hunt with one in Texas?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Very cool looking cross bow.

I think a lot of us hunters are concerned with the rising gas prices this year. Looks like its going to be a repeat of 2008.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
How many fps is required to hunt with one in Texas?
NitroxAZ,
I haven't even looked to see if there is a fps regulation here,but I know several guy's that have hunted with theirs,and most have 150-175lb pull crossbows.

J.D.,
I know what you mean,these things aren't cheap.I got this one from Natchez Shooters Supply at the end of last year for a great price,plus I had a $50 off coupon so I got it for around $600.
I think Cabelas gets $799 for this one.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #6

I love the look of that one. I went to the website and then I did a google search around the web.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I really like the idea of a crossbow, but I've been concerned about how quickly a follow up shot takes.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I really like the idea of a crossbow, but I've been concerned about how quickly a follow up shot takes.
A 20" shaft with razor sharp broadheads traveling at 300 plus feet per second is going to cause a lot of damage. You might not need a second bolt.

JD

Old 03-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If I miss, or dealing with more than one zombie is what I was thinking.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams