Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Training with a katana (kenjutsu) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/training-katana-kenjutsu-90749/)

gearhead396 05-15-2013 07:34 PM

Training with a katana (kenjutsu)

So recently I have just started training in kenjutsu which is a umbrella term for various types of Japanese sword art revolving around the katana. So I'd like to know if anyone else is also training in this martial art? If you do what do you practice with? What do your practice your cuts on ? What kind of katana do you have? So far i have just been practicing on old jugs. Hanging on rope from my gazebo filled with water. The katana i am using is a Hanwei practical pro made for frequent drawing and cutting practice, it weighs 7 pounds which seems to be on the lighter side but it still gets heavy after 10 minutes of kata lol. On top of just really enjoying it i lightly prep, and I figure knowing how to fight with a katana would come in handy if the supply of bullets runs out in a apocalyptic situation.

dango 05-15-2013 08:13 PM

I bow to you , quite the interesting weapon of choice and honor ! I to am a bit of an enthusiasts of some 39 years student . Would have been 41 years , but do to health issues , I have just picked it back up in the past months..! I've a long way to go and strength to build , but do keep me informed of your progress..!

So , perhaps a video..! :) Maybe by the end of summer I!ll be half back to myself less any set backs . I like firearms , but do like the stealth of other weapons also..! Quiet but deadly..!

gearhead396 05-15-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dango
I bow to you , quite the interesting weapon of choice and honor ! I to am a bit of an enthusiasts of some 39 years student . Would have been 41 years , but do to health issues , I have just picked it back up in the past months..! I've a long way to go and strength to build , but do keep me informed of your progress..!

So , perhaps a video..! :) Maybe by the end of summer I!ll be half back to myself less any set backs . I like firearms , but do like the stealth of other weapons also..! Quiet but deadly..!

Thank you sir ! And I will keep you informed. I am planning on sticking with it and becoming quite good. Ill have to post a video also.

dango 05-15-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearhead396 (Post 1247899)
Thank you sir ! And I will keep you informed. I am planning on sticking with it and becoming quite good. Ill have to post a video also.

Looking forward to share some common interests , not many out there..! :)

SSGN_Doc 05-15-2013 11:04 PM

I want to learn to use a cutlas properly. Since I can wear one with a dress uniform, it would be nice to actually honor the tradition of being able to use the device rather than just display it.

As for the apocalypse I still prefer a range weapon for game getting. I took up primative archery, and have made a couple of bows that have proven to be good enough for small to medium game hunting and would work for defense in a pinch.

jamesb 05-16-2013 01:55 AM

I have a Ronin Dojo Pro katana.

dango 05-16-2013 02:05 AM

And out of the shadows , we chime in , too Kool..! :cool:

dango 05-16-2013 09:40 PM

It was asked , "what kind of sword is owned or practiced"..! I own a :
(Shinsakuto and a Gendaito).! Can anybody tell me what that means..! :)

I just have all kinds of question..! To wear the title of (Samurai) , what
Would procure such a title .? Skill level or social status ..?

dango 05-16-2013 10:18 PM

According to (Old World Feudal Japan , can I wear my Daisha in public..? I'm not being a smart-ass here , just want to share some history to invoke curiosity.!

The more knowledge , the more respect for what we practice.!

What does a (Daisha) consist of ..?

gearhead396 05-16-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dango
According to (Old World Feudal Japan , can I wear my Daisha in public..? I'm not being a smart-ass here , just want to share some history to invoke curiosity.!

The more knowledge , the more respect for what we practice.!

What does a (Daisha) consist of ..?

Daisho literally means long short. That would be a katana and wakasashi carried together. although unless they were bokins (wooden) you'd probably get arrested. You'd be better off wearing a kimono or keikogi.