Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Tom Brown Tracker (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/tom-brown-tracker-16842/)

Benning Boy 08-12-2009 04:52 PM

Tom Brown Tracker

1 Attachment(s)
Anybody got one? Is it all they say it is?

The problem I have with multi task survival kvives is that they try to tackle too many tasks, and do a mediocre job on all of them. I've never met a saw backed knife I liked.

Is this worth a look?

Dillinger 08-12-2009 04:59 PM

Wanted one SOOO bad after watching The Hunted - great avatar by the way.

I ordered one into a local knife shop and went and checked it out. It just didn't impress me enough to buy it.

The knife might be designed for a serious, serious outdoorsman, which I don't claim to be. The skinning/filet section of the knife has a VERY sharp edge to it.

The broad sweeping front of the blade could really do some damage, I am sure, but it's not as sharp, IMO, as it could be.

The handle is great, gives good purchase and has a beefy feel to it.

Like you, I just am not a multi knife kind of guy, so I didn't buy it.

JD

Benning Boy 08-12-2009 05:19 PM

LOL, yeah, same thing, thought "This could be the bug out bag knife", but closer inspection didn't do it for me.

Glad it's not just me.:cool:

Franciscomv 08-14-2009 04:09 AM

There are much better choices out there, I've never liked any of the versions of the Tracker. Before the TOPS version, there were customs by David Beck, known as WSK (Wilderness Survival Knife).

I find that simple knife designs work best for me. While working as a wilderness and hunting guide (as well as mounted SAR volunteer) I tried lots of different blades and got rid of the useless gimmicks quickly. A simple folding saw, even a SAK saw, will outperform any saw backed knife.

My outdoors skills rely mostly on traditional bushcraft (Mors Kochansky, Ray Mears, etc.) and not on military training. I've worked with guys with army training, and they tended to use bigger knives and go about things in a different way. We both got the job done, but maybe my background explains why I never warmed up to big black bladed knives like the Tracker. I do like the much smaller and simpler Tracker Scout, but (if forced to stick to production knives) I'll take a Fallkniven or Bark River over both of them any day of the week, twice on Sundays.

As an interesting note, last time I checked the instructors at Tom Brown's school were using good old Mora style Scandi knives.

canebrake 08-14-2009 04:15 AM

An average knife with an outstanding publicist!

You can spend your cash "more better" elsewhere.

cane

Benning Boy 08-15-2009 09:59 PM

The Mora. If I understand correctly, it's a mean piece of carbon steel wrapped in stainless. Laminated. But why?:confused:

IGETEVEN 08-15-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 145035)
The Mora. If I understand correctly, it's a mean piece of carbon steel wrapped in stainless. Laminated. But why?:confused:

Mora Knives | Gear Review | Gear Junkie

"What makes a Mora knife so special? They’re cheap, lightweight and simple — a no-nonsense knife that comes with a plastic sheath. Its straight blade is sharp out of the box, and it feels well-balanced and strong in the hand.

But what really has made Mora knives famous are their superior steel blades. The steel, which comes in four varieties from Frosts Knivfabrik — carbon-steel, stainless, Triflex and laminated-steel — is known to hold an edge well, and it is regarded as extremely tough and resilient. Indeed, a common survivalist endorsement of Mora knives says that in a time of dire need one of these knives can be used to fell a tree by pounding the blade in and hammering the knife back and forth to slowly cut through the trunk."

Because I like you, bro! :)

Jack

Benning Boy 08-16-2009 03:19 AM

IGETEVEN rocks. Thank you sir, my credit card will hate you.;)