Titanium Knife?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Titanium Knife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Titanium Knife?

So I see these dog tag sized/shaped knives, and they're made of titanium.

I've read that it's impossible to keep an edge on this material, hence most knives that have titanium as an ingredient use it only as a coating or handle material.

What makes titanium such a bad blade choice?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Titanium is very resistant to corrosion but it doesn't have the hardness of steel which is needed to retain an edge. It can't be heat treated like steel which is where the hardness issue comes in. It also tends to be more brittle so it would break long before steel. If you don't mind sharpening on a more regular basis it's not really a problem. It also depends on what you want to cut.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Last edited by spittinfire; 01-21-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have a couple of Titanium knives from Mission Knives. Yes, it is harder to get a hair shave edge on there. It's Titanium after all.

However, I haven't had edge retention issues. Granted, I haven't put my regular field knife through all the constant assault that I have in our knife tests, but my main field knife is over 6 years old and it still has a good edge on it.

I don't know if the blade would break sooner than steel. I suppose it's possible, but this thing is a workhorse of a blade. I have chopped and pryed with it and there is almost no sign of wear.

MPT12-Ti Titanium Knife [MPT12-Ti] - $379.00 : MissionKnives.com, The Toughest Knives in the World!

As for what a Titanium Knife can ENDURE:

Here's four ( or five ? ) years of salt water immersion

mission knives |

Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #4

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

It actually depends on actual alloy composition and grade of Ti used. For instance a fairly common type of Ti is 6Al-4V Gr5: meaning 6% Aluminum and 4% Vanadium Grade 5. Relativey soft, very tough and great corrosion resistant composition. Ti is a super alloy and machinable. The dust or small savings of Ti are easily flamable, but as a solid, it has a high flash/metlting point.

Not sure I'd trust a hardened Ti blade to rigorous abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Benning, unless you need a lot of rust resistance and a non-magnetic blade, I'd stick with steel. Titanium knives are quite pricey, just use the Mission website as an example and check the price of the same knife with a steel blade and with a titanium blade.

Also, if you're anal about edges, you're not likely to be satisfied with titanium. It just doesn't give you the same performance as premium steels with good heat treatment.

However, when you do need their particular qualities (light weight, rust proof, tough) Mission titanium knives are great tools. I volunteer with local SAR groups and I use a MPU-Ti when we've got to work in flooded areas, helping the army and national guard rescue groups. The knife might stay wet for days (I've had Leatherman tools just fall apart on me!) and be used for all sorts of ugly tasks. My MPU might not get as sharp as one of my D2 or S30V customs, or stay sharp for as long a time, but it takes a lot of punishement and keeps coming back for more.

I put a slightly rougher edge on titanium than on steel, and it seems to last a bit longer than a more polished edge.
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-22-2010, 04:36 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I smell a stump the Francisco thread coming, if he is agreeable.

Thank guys, this cleared up alot in a few short posts.