throwing knives - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > throwing knives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango

The "RING" , is areo-dynamics , as not to "catch air" , to flip true , cut air cleanly in long distances..! I like it ..!

Now that would be one good throwing knife..! Been throwing things for years and the biggest problem I've had is breaking tips , that looks like the solution!
Thanks..!
Dango the ring is also used for close combat to put your pointer finger in or your pinky, depending on what knife fighting you have to do. But it's a great throwing knife. And I also have the same problem with my tips breaking or bending.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3163 Times on 1797 Posts
Likes Given: 18383

Quote:
Originally Posted by keginth View Post
Dango the ring is also used for close combat to put your pointer finger in or your pinky, depending on what knife fighting you have to do. But it's a great throwing knife. And I also have the same problem with my tips breaking or bending.
May I politely disagree..? It's a throwing knife and throwing knives never have much of an edge because some throw by the blade and to stick any finger through that hole would limit evasive movements , parries , blocks , thrusts , etc..!
Also should you lose the knife , I'd like to keep ma finger..!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 968 Times on 639 Posts
Likes Given: 1250

Unless it's a Kerambit, then the ring is essential to the manipulation of the knife. Buts that for a different thread

Become steel or get cut.
dango Likes This 
Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3163 Times on 1797 Posts
Likes Given: 18383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
Unless it's a Kerambit, then the ring is essential to the manipulation of the knife. Buts that for a different thread
Karambit , Indonesian and the Kerambit Phillipe ans , but neither is a throwing sort of weapon.!Great offensive techniques though....!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #15

Liked 54 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

ive always bean partial to throwin knives and the act there of. As a youngin d always get those crap ones from the fair and bend the ever livin crap outta them ina afternoon. Throwin stars also lol.

The set tht i have now actually haning from my reloadin bench lamp is the Gil Hibben triple thrower set. He does make some cheesier models, but these are worth there salt and dont cost a arm and a leg either. Comes with leather sheath to hold all three,great balance but kinda heavy for my likin. There also a lil big bigger then id throw ina normal afternoon of punishing trees.( i dont hate trees,they give me air)

Its kinda my "looks cool"set, but i do throw um also. And when they land correctly? They got some sauce behind um and really penetrate.They were like maybe 50bux?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango

May I politely disagree..? It's a throwing knife and throwing knives never have much of an edge because some throw by the blade and to stick any finger through that hole would limit evasive movements , parries , blocks , thrusts , etc..!
Also should you lose the knife , I'd like to keep ma finger..!
I have mine attached to my carrier vest and the hoop stick out of the sheath that i have made for mine so if I need it, I can throw it or I can stab my enemy so it's a really good throwing knife if that's all you want it for.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt232 View Post
I highly recommend this knife, Cold Steel True Flight Thrower. It is a great throwing knife, the only ones I use now.
Were did you get those?
Adam

Old 03-30-2013, 02:16 AM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam

Were did you get those?
Adam
Used to use BudK but they stopped selling cold steel products. You can try KnifeDepot.com or KnifeCenter.com, I recently got some from Knife Center.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:00 AM   #19

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

In addtion to guns, I've also collected knives since I was a kid. At various times I have fooled around with throwing knives, and have come to the conclusion that -- at least for myself -- throwing knives are not expecially practical as a combat weapon. The limited sucess I've had involved lots of practice throwing a certain style knife at a specified distance. Being as consistent as possible in distance, grip, force of throw, etc. were the only way I could do any good at all. Changing one or more of these factors greatly decreased the reliablty of my results. Real life situations, imo, are too fluid for the consistency required for being able to correctly hit a target. But those are MY results, and I will admit that someone with better coordination and lots of practice might be dangerous with throwing knives.

I DO however believe that throwing a knife -- or a lot of other objects, for that matter -- at someone's eyes or face is a great way to distract them while you stab them with your other knife, shoot them with your pistol, or bash them on the head with a brick.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:52 AM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
In addtion to guns, I've also collected knives since I was a kid. At various times I have fooled around with throwing knives, and have come to the conclusion that -- at least for myself -- throwing knives are not expecially practical as a combat weapon. The limited sucess I've had involved lots of practice throwing a certain style knife at a specified distance. Being as consistent as possible in distance, grip, force of throw, etc. were the only way I could do any good at all. Changing one or more of these factors greatly decreased the reliablty of my results. Real life situations, imo, are too fluid for the consistency required for being able to correctly hit a target. But those are MY results, and I will admit that someone with better coordination and lots of practice might be dangerous with throwing knives.

I DO however believe that throwing a knife -- or a lot of other objects, for that matter -- at someone's eyes or face is a great way to distract them while you stab them with your other knife, shoot them with your pistol, or bash them on the head with a brick.
I would never throw a knife in a defensive situation, that's why I own guns. I just do it for the fun personally, I too really don't see any practical use as a defensive technique unless its just a last ditch effort.