Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   throwing knives (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/throwing-knives-86935/)

Adam 03-19-2013 06:16 PM

throwing knives

First I want to say sorry if there is already a thread on this (I looked and didn't find any) ok so I'm wondering what you guys think would be a good throwing knife for me just starting out, like I said I'm starting out but I'm not just trieing it for the first time or anything, I have two knives that I got a few years ago and just started using them this winter. When I'm wormed up I'm sticking them 9 out of 10 throws and hitting a two by six 4 out of 5 throws (at one rotation). . Any way I don't think they are very good throwing knives; however I haven't tried any other knives so I don't really know. The guy I got the knives from said that throwing knives should be at least one ounce per inch however the smaller knife I got from him is 12 inches long and only 8.5 ounces, and the bigger one is 15 inches and only weighs 11 ounces. The knives are cold steel, and bend really easy, after a few hours of throwing them at wood they bend a fair bite, and need to be sharpend every hour or two of throwing.
So I was looking at different throwing knives and I'm just wondering if you guys have any advice you could share. I'm thinking a three to four knive set would be nice (all one size) and no more then a hundred dollars, I would like a knive at least 9.5 inches long and under 15 inches long. I looked at the throwing knives from the expendables the ones with the ring at the back, and was woundering how you throw it, like do you just hold the ring or something? Cause I would think the ring would catch if you held it by the handle when you through it. hilgibbon knives look good and I was woundering if you guys think they would be a good brand to go with?
Adam
once again sorry if this is the wrong spot

texaswoodworker 03-19-2013 07:22 PM

The knives from the expendables are actually called Kunai.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...px-Kunai05.jpg

I'm NOT a knife thrower, but I believe you hold the body/blade of the knife like you would any other throwing knife. I'm not entirely sure what the ring is for, but it probably acts as a counterbalance to help keep the knife rotating more around the middle of the knife, instead of more towards the blade.
IIRC, this knife was also used as a type of fighting knife, so the ring probably helped prevent the knife being stripped/slipping out of your hand.

jjfuller1 03-19-2013 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is similiar to what i used to use. with and without the handles.

Adam 03-21-2013 08:43 PM

ok so I was looking on amazon and found this knife set, United Cutlery GH5029 Gil Hibben Large GenX Pro Triple Thowing Knife Set with Sheath
It's a three knife set for 42 dollars.
Adam

dango 03-22-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1182582)
The knives from the expendables are actually called Kunai.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...px-Kunai05.jpg

I'm NOT a knife thrower, but I believe you hold the body/blade of the knife like you would any other throwing knife. I'm not entirely sure what the ring is for, but it probably acts as a counterbalance to help keep the knife rotating more around the middle of the knife, instead of more towards the blade.
IIRC, this knife was also used as a type of fighting knife, so the ring probably helped prevent the knife being stripped/slipping out of your hand.

The "RING" , is areo-dynamics , as not to "catch air" , to flip true , cut air cleanly in long distances..!:) I like it ..! :D

Now that would be one good throwing knife..! Been throwing things for years and the biggest problem I've had is breaking tips , that looks like the solution!
Thanks..! :)

dango 03-22-2013 04:41 PM

Yo , Texaswoodworker , where did you find that knife.?

mt232 03-22-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
ok so I was looking on amazon and found this knife set, United Cutlery GH5029 Gil Hibben Large GenX Pro Triple Thowing Knife Set with Sheath
It's a three knife set for 42 dollars.
Adam

Don't get those, I had them and they are cheap! After a few throws two of them got bent, not worth the money at all

mt232 03-22-2013 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I highly recommend this knife, Cold Steel True Flight Thrower. It is a great throwing knife, the only ones I use now.

dango 03-22-2013 07:18 PM

There used to be a knife called "Black Mamba" , don't know if they still make them or not. One knife I didn't break in less than a year..!

Steel_Talon 03-25-2013 11:24 PM

I'm not a knife thrower, I'd rather keep them in my hand ;) But as a kid I got pretty decent at throwing a knife. But It all changed when I took some long heavy nail spikes my grandfather had. After a bit of grinder work on the tips I became a real bad ass with them. The dog days of youth...:)