Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Things that go boom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1036 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Default Things that go boom

Ok no body freak out here , this is only a questions . I know home made explosives are a no no , BUT how is mixing tannerite any different from making anfo in a legal perspective ? On one you take AN and mix it with AL , the other you take AN and mix it with fuel oil or nitro methane , both must be set off by impact or the like . Now before some kid reads this and thinks he is going to make explosives just know that there is much more to it than just mixing things together , you dont understand how powerfull these things are . With that said I just dont understand , they say tannerite is legal b/c its a binary mixture , so are other things or am I missing the point ?

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

(starts taking notes)

Old 06-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I would just like to say for the record (to the gents in the grey suits) that i only clicked on this thread by accident, that i have no knowledge or intent to make a binary explosive, that i am actually a beauracracy-loving liberal with aspirations of mediocracy, and that i own no actual firearms or pointy sticks.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #4

Liked 1036 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Quote:
I would just like to say for the record (to the gents in the grey suits) that i only clicked on this thread by accident, that i have no knowledge or intent to make a binary explosive, that i am actually a beauracracy-loving liberal with aspirations of mediocracy, and that i own no actual firearms or pointy sticks.
LMAO , cmon Im at work , bored and pondering useless facts

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #5

Liked 707 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Years ago my father and I got a brochure(which I saved) from the Feds on how to make potholes for ducks. It told how to mix fertilizer with fuel oil and how to set it off. We blew several ponds for ducks to use. It was an entertaining and worthwhile venture.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Im going to venture and say that it is because fuel oil is a mixture all its own, so amfo is not, technically, a binary mixture........ Yeah, I was gonna say more but, i changed my mind lol. I'm a good little ignorant non gunowning peasant as well

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 06-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #7

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

...Homemade explosives are illegal? I've made blackpowder, explosive thermite, and a bunch of substances and devices that go boom. I assumed it was just illegal to buy these things or use them in a public place.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 06-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I almost forgot about this but revisit the question sometimes. So I'm going to bump this question because I have wondered this EXACT same thing as you. When I wanted to get into amateur fireworks for entertainment a few years ago, I found out you needed a license to buy components for making flash powder. Gunpowder for muzzle loading and reloading does NOT work, BTW. It burns too slow. Yet I can walk into the gunshow an legally walk out with 5lbs of binary target explosives (which is safely in my gunsafe, in an airtight container and both are marked "Danger explosive powder"). What gives here?
Disclaimer: I'm not an explosive making nut job. I have just always been fascinated with celebratory fireworks since I was a child. I have always thought that it would be a grand past time to safely and legally build fireworks for everyone's entertainment. The key words here are SAFE and LEGAL.
EDIT: BTW, please disregard the avatar. LOL

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Last edited by fixxer; 06-08-2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Also, please disregard the signature line. LOL X2

Old 06-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #9

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
EDIT: BTW, please disregard the avatar. LOL
What about the signature?

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 06-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8604 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Well, I AM an explosive making nutjob, However, I have a couple of licenses to do that and to use it, so that does not count. Also teach in that field, and serve on some of the licensing boards.

In a nutshell, the Feds regulate that which is "placed in the stream of commerce". Meaning those explosives that are sold. If you buy Tannerite, you are not buying an explosive. You are buying substances, that when mixed, are a Blasting Agent, as is Ammonium Nitrate and a fuel. However, if you buy packaged ANFO, it IS an explosive. Already mixed.

Now, I DO NOT give instructions on whipping up an "Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator' over the internet- because I have a strong sense of ethics, and do not care to be responsible for some kid that has not learned that he can remove his eyebrows, fingers, and the neighbor's house. And that the Anarchist's Cookbook has several errors in the text.

But understand that ANFO is not detonated by sticking a length of cannon fuse in it- it requires an explosive booster, and a blasting cap. If you are planning on buying boosters and caps, you will need papers.

Depending on what you DO with powder, you can find yourself needing a lawyer. Yes, you can blow stumps (backhoes do it better) and break boulders- and other than the civil suit for throwing a rock thru neighbor's roof (have pictures of a 600 pounder thrown 1200 feet) you are OK. Start building "Explosive devices", and you have legal problems.

Have managed to avoid bending my St. Barbara's medal, and would like to keep it that way.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt