There Can Be Only One
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > There Can Be Only One

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default There Can Be Only One

This is more of a vanity project for me. It probably won't get many views or replies, and that's okay.

I love swords. Always have.

I've taken some formal training, but here's the big problem with modern sword schools: it's all theory.

I intend to remove it from the realm of theory. How to do this?

Cutting.

So let's get this out of the way. Swords are like martial arts training in these respects.

1) Disagreement about style- I don't care what your Sensei says. Not every style suits everybody. You aren't invincible.

2) Forget the movies- Historically, real sword fights were not long drawn out chess matches. I cut, and if I miss, I'm pretty much screwed.

3) More alike than you think- To be completely honest, there are really only so many ways to swing that sword. Wanna know why some cuts in Asian styles look like European ones? See the first sentence.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I am intrigued... and a little worried.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

So what am I doing?

As I said, I have some formal training. I did not finish, for a couple of reasons. Primary among them was the fact that I could attain black belt in this sword style without a steel sword.

That's right. Be an expert swordsman, doing your whole training career with some red oak. Bull.

I have a few different swords, I'll be cutting some stuff with them. I also want to acquire a few different styles of swords. It is my belief that some swords are better suited for different guys than others.

I've bought some junk in my time, and I'll tell you what to look out for, as I'll probably be discovering this as I go. I've got a line on some good manufacturers and distributors, this should be expensive and fun.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #4

I was just discussing swords last night with Mrs. JD as we watched some Deadliest Warrior and they were testing some Persian, curved, khurka looking thing that just destroyed a pig carcass. I was wondering if anyone made one of those today, a quality one, and how much strength one would need to just hack and slash and entire field of enemies with that in one's hand.

Where do you shop for quality sword steel Benning?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

So let's get this out of the way.....

I am not an expert on this, I do not claim to be.

You may take sword somewhere formally. Cool, share what you've learned, respectfully. We will probably have different views and experiences, and we can learn if we keep our minds open.

I, frankly, don't buy much of what my instructor told me. I know he tried a practical exercise, and failed miserably. Some of what he offered was of value, and some was hype.

Do not try anything in here at home. Even cheap garbage swords can kill.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I was just discussing swords last night with Mrs. JD as we watched some Deadliest Warrior and they were testing some Persian, curved, khurka looking thing that just destroyed a pig carcass. I was wondering if anyone made one of those today, a quality one, and how much strength one would need to just hack and slash and entire field of enemies with that in one's hand.

Where do you shop for quality sword steel Benning?
I missed this episode, so what I can find online is that in this one, the Persians had a Kopis.

Did it look like this?
403158.jpg  

Old 08-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #7

Eh, it kind of looked like that, but the front end of the blade was much wider, had more belly and was almost front end heavy. The thing was a beast on the pig, that is for sure.

Let me see if I can find the episode....

Old 08-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If this is the one, the Kopis made it's way through Egypt, Greece, an a couple other places.

The one pictured isn't authentic, and it's produced, I believe, by Windlass Steelcrafts.

Windlass, in my experience, is a tad shaky. I had a Windlass bearded Viking axe, and snapped the head in half.

The first sword I ever owned was a Windlass Scimitar. Problem one, I didn't read the fine print, it did not come sharpened.

Problem 2- The fittings were loose. The pommel was threaded on, and would twist off when I swung it.

It was a well balanced and lively sword, but the handle was small, too small for my hand.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

More like this?

ci268.jpg  

Old 08-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #10

I had my episodes confused, it was Vlad the Impalers boys and their wicked sword....

Sun Tzu vs. Vlad the Impaler | SPIKE

It's about 9:00 or so into the video and the thing is wicked!