Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Taser or Stungun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 03:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taser or Stungun

What's the difference, or are they the same thing. I have seen on You-Tube, kids laughing at a 100,000 volt sting on the arm from a hand held stungun. And I have seen on TV, rookie cops getting the probs from a taser shot at him and stick in his chest during a training seminar with a completely different reaction.

So why such wildly different reactions? Is it an amperage difference between what police use and what civilians can buy??

HAVE FUN

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #2

A "stun gun" delivers an elctrical shock through contact with the probes. Basically mild electrocution. The contact type devices I've seen work primarily on pain compliance and can be "fought through", to an extent.

Taser is a brand name, and is a completely different animal:
Products for Consumers

http://www.itaser.com/product_tour.html

I have been Tased once with an X26. I will never do it again. Ever. There is no "fighting through" what that device does, no matter how tough, big or chemically altered someone might be. Yes, it hurts, but it offers so much more.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f61/emotionally-scarred-30216/

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 02-16-2011 at 07:12 AM.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiller View Post
What's the difference, or are they the same thing. I have seen on You-Tube, kids laughing at a 100,000 volt sting on the arm from a hand held stungun. And I have seen on TV, rookie cops getting the probs from a taser shot at him and stick in his chest during a training seminar with a completely different reaction.

So why such wildly different reactions? Is it an amperage difference between what police use and what civilians can buy??
Kids laughing at 100,000 volt sting? You mentioned amperage; and yeah, there is definitely very little amperage behind that voltage (kind of like a Tesla coil, which could still hurt you undner the right conditions). I'm going to simplify this and just call the effectiveness "Power" since we know it takes Voltage and Amperage to make this work. Is there a power difference between Law Enforcement Taser X26C, M26C and the civillian C-2 model? Nope. Quoting from Taser Inc. C-2: "The same effectiveness trusted by law enforcement worldwide". (www.taser.com)
The only difference I could find was that the X or M models give you multiple cartridges whereas the C-2 model gives you one shot. Depending on where you are buying, you can buy all the models as a civilian. You're going to pay some $$$ for the Law Enforcement, repeater models. Not to despair for us C-2 owners though. Upon expending your 1 cartridge (if you miss or there are multiple assailents), the end of the C-2 also has contacts that allow you to use it as a contact weapon (just like a good quality stun gun). IF you are looking for a less lethal alternative, I highly recommend the Taser C-2 over a stun gun if it is legal in your area. I have put mine through it's paces in the last couple years. It's still going like a champ. I expend a cartrdige about once every 2-3 months to verify operation and I'm still on my first battery. Cartridges are about $50 per 2 each, so not cheap. I guess you get what you pay for in this market. I'm going to change out my battery soon as I don't want to need it and not have juice. Anyway, I promise you those kids wouldn't be laughing (at least not the victim!) if they were playing with a Taser! You are also getting a TON of extras with a Taser. You should go to the Taser website and check out the products. They are loaded with RFID confetti that disperses when you fire them. This aids law inforcement in tracking. They also continue to cycle for 30 seconds or until you replace the trigger guard so you can drop them after hitting someone and get away. Taser will give you a free replacement with a police report in that instance! Stunguns are trickier to rate because there are so many of them flooding the market. Some are good (well OKAY). I wouldn't want to have to be inside striking distance to have to use it. You don't get the 15 foot shot and the same level of penetration through clothing. Last gun show I spotted a ton of them for sale and the majority of them were foreign-made, no-name junk. The good ones are not cheap so I figured I might as well get the Taser. If you can pony up the extra scratch the X or M Taser models and you don't mind the extra bulk, I don't see how you could go wrong there.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Last edited by fixxer; 02-16-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2260 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 154

I am a certified instructor in both the M-26 TASER and the X-26. I have taken "the ride" 4 times. Yes I am a slow learner.

I have also given myself shocks from touch stun type devices. They may say 50,000 or 100,000 volts but they are childs play compared to the TASER. A determined person can easily work through the pain associated with the stun guns. The TASER is not pain (IMHO), it is an overwhelming force that overrides the body's voluntary nervous system. Very few people can function under the influence of the TASER. The only ones who have any hope of prevailing through a TASER ride are the obese individuals as the electric charge tends to travel through the fatty tissue and cause pain but not overwhelm the muscles.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

He speakith the truth!

Robo, do you suppose there would be a remote possibility, that there would be a slight aroma present of bacon cooking, right after one of them "obese tasings?

Just asking?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5622 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 4704

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
He speakith the truth!

Robo, do you suppose there would be a remote possibility, that there would be a slight aroma present of bacon cooking, right after one of them "obese tasings?

Just asking?
I LOL'd.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #7

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will put my Muscle Man 200,000 in the toy box and maybe a garage sale this spring. Funny, I bought 2 of them about 15 years ago and believed all the hype about what a wonderful defence weapon it is.

HAVE FUN