Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Swords anyone? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/swords-anyone-64170/)

SingleAction 05-09-2012 11:49 PM

Swords anyone?

everything from sabers, foils or otherwise!
any of you got the gumption to test a big knife against a firearm?
I have a bit of training with blades but the idea seems under considered. Krav mangna goes into it but i want to discuss it with some experience.
keepin it cool

JonM 05-10-2012 12:18 AM

depends on surprise and the other person's willingness to do damage and how close and whether the first lady is on her monthly cycle or not...

too many variables. what is demonstrated in a classroom situation isnt how real fighting happens. real hand to hand or weapon to weapon is bloody dirty without any real pretty techniques.

Axxe55 05-10-2012 12:52 AM

regardless of what you see on tv and people teach in some self defence class, in the real world, if you haven't been trained in hand to hand combat formally, like in the military, bringing a knife to a gunfight is, well stupid.

Dan308 05-10-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingleAction (Post 795535)
everything from sabers, foils or otherwise!
any of you got the gumption to test a big knife against a firearm?
I have a bit of training with blades but the idea seems under considered. Krav mangna goes into it but i want to discuss it with some experience.
keepin it cool

from 10 yards to 1000 you don't stand a chance...

mountainman13 05-10-2012 03:26 AM

I would prefer to use a small knife before the bg has a chance to draw the gun.
Then again I really prefer to be the guy with the gun.

bearrwe 05-10-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 795615)
regardless of what you see on tv and people teach in some self defence class, in the real world, if you haven't been trained in hand to hand combat formally, like in the military, bringing a knife to a gunfight is, well stupid.

Axxe, I was trained in hand to hand combat and according to the instructor bringing a knife to a gunfight is pretty much stupid no matter what your skill level.

Axxe55 05-10-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearrwe (Post 795874)
Axxe, I was trained in hand to hand combat and according to the instructor bringing a knife to a gunfight is pretty much stupid no matter what your skill level.

Bear, that was kind of my thoughts. short of being trained by some special forces or elite unit, highly doubtful the outcome is going to be good for the guy with the knife or sword.

dango 05-13-2012 11:32 PM

I have a lot of faith in stealth and swords but nobody here seemed to take much interest in what I say so ,I do agree with you though.

It's been a while since I've been here but just don't feel at home anymore , but nice meeting you.